Author Topic: Heeelllppp! Gearbox  (Read 4113 times)

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Heeelllppp! Gearbox
« Reply #15 on: 15.06. 2014 17:49 »
Sorry can't help (the deepest recess of the gearbox is a big mystery to me!). But if you can find the time to post some detailed pictures + description of the work, the story, solutions and (forcefully) acquired expertise will be useful to future readers (myself included).

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 15.06. 2014 18:01 »
I think the circlips may be needed they  keep the end gear in place, it's quite a push to get the end gears over the clip and located correctly, don't see BSA doing that just to make assemble easier but you never know
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #17 on: 15.06. 2014 21:04 »
 Good that you found the bush problem Pedro. Go to your local car engine re-conditioner and go through his tin of old gudgeon/wrist/little end pin clips. I'm sure you'll find something to use.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 16.06. 2014 14:29 »

I also reckon best to have them, as it may(or may not) just be that if the gears the clips retain are not in the correct spot, it could be the cause of the problem- maybe not the worn bush, but slightly ineffective gear meshing (hard to find neutral- ?).
  I wouldn't bother with deepening the notch any, that could create a whole other bucket of crap...

Also if you have a bush made, don't forget the oil scroll inside.

A mate made mine, but didn't have the correct gearing to do the scroll on the lathe, and while I was doing that by hand, (as an aside) put some thought into the direction of the scroll and whether it draws oil in to the bush in conjunction with the feed hole above bush top, through the scroll to be pumped up the shaft, or just fed via the feed hole, to be squeezed out the scroll (and up the shaft by the centrifuge action exiting through the three holes in the shaft)...?... any thoughts...?

How do the rest of the bits look..? Not hard to do, is it...?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #19 on: 16.06. 2014 15:47 »
are we talking circlip on the mainshaft just in front of  the pressed on cog ? oh sorry realise plunger box so don't know if the same. if it is when did mine i sure someone said this was only as a guide to how far the cog should be pressed on ,mine was damaged by the fitter so I removed it with no probs , so far or have I gotten the wrong end of the stick?BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 24.06. 2014 01:16 »

How you getting on Pedro...?
You got me motivated to go investigate my spare box and the cluster that I swapped out of it.
 I discovered the layshaft thrust washer between gear 1&2 missing....dunno how it didn't rattle, still investigating....so,....
 I'll concede that the lack of circlip may be ok under duress if the gear is located correctly, and doesn't move, less likely I think on the layshaft than the mainshaft, as tightening the nut could pull the shaft into the gear/bearing further..(?)....
 I'd still recommend this as no more than temporary fixit, but am open to stone-throwing in my direction...(haven't heard from Richard L. for a while...where is he when I need him  *smile*m)

Yo Bob- as far as I can tell, all 'A' boxes are same internals- except for some gear ratios, and the use of needle rollers in RRT2 (Close Ratio) box, but not sure if these are in SC/T/other? box- oh and the Layshaft pressed on constant mesh gear on C/R is wider as I discovered (more on that later/elsewhere).

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline pedrochapala

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #21 on: 26.07. 2014 22:37 »
hey thanks for everyone's input. shift's like a dream now and neutral has never been so easy to find. circlips aren't necessary. had the rear bush made as the layshaft had a 5 thou taper[from wear?], so a standard part may not have fit. the sprocket was loose and i tightened that as well.repointed the tip on the spring loaded selector on the lathe.
now i gotta keep on re-strengthening my leg as most of the time i still need one of my amigos to kick it for me.
i don't wanna do anything with this box again!
gracias again!

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #22 on: 27.07. 2014 01:14 »
shift's like a dream now
Great, nice to read about good news.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 27.07. 2014 11:13 »

Nice one Pedro- On Da Road Again..!

now i gotta keep on re-strengthening my leg as most of the time i still need one of my amigos to kick it for me.

But with the down-time I'da thought there'd be some fair leg-swingin' practice happening....in between sangrias....?

If it's any consolation, you made me go and pull my spare box apart, and do a full forensic analysis *eek*, and lucky so, as the 1st gear thrust washer was missing, but as I'd grafted my close ratio gears in that I had left over from the old Road Rocket, it meant the .......ah no- another day....!

But it told me if the gear is nice and snug on the shaft without the circlip, it should be ~ok, but personally I'd still rather have one.

Australia