Author Topic: A10 plunger/swingarm head pipes  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Drew Back

• A's Good Friend
A10 plunger/swingarm head pipes
« on: 04.08. 2014 03:54 »
What is diferent between the exhaust pipes of plunger and swingarm is it just the mounts or are the bends completely diferent?
I have some old spitfire high pipes that run down the left side I am thinking about using but the right pipe is almost impossible to get on and off without a sturdy hammer and they run way to close to the battery..Will a siamese pipe fit?

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Re: A10 plunger/swingarm head pipes
« Reply #1 on: 04.08. 2014 04:29 »
The pipes are different but you can fit them. The mounting brackets are in different places plus on the swingarm models the left pipe sits lower and has a raised section to bring it up to the muffler compared to the plunger models, this is so you can get the primary case off without removing the pipe on a s/arm model.

However you can fit plunger pipes on a s/arm if you shift the brackets and are prepared to remove the left exhaust if you need to take the primary cover off. I have a pair of plunger pipes fitted to my s/arm bike. I've added a pic.

When I bought my bike it came with the plunger pipes so I shifted the brackets and fitted them because I intend to fit a set of siamese pipes (oneday).

The problem with siamese pipes is finding a set that fit properly, unfortunately as with all after market stuff these days the fit and quality vary immensly.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 04.08. 2014 11:01 »
Hi Brian , if you ever do go down the siamese route I'd suggest  Cake st Classics got mine 9 yrs plus  good fit no messing and still look great despite the english weather, plus the owners a good guy , best wishes BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #3 on: 04.08. 2014 12:01 »
Thanks Bob, I've bought a few systems from Armours and most were ok but I bought a siamese set from them for my plunger A10 and they were barely useable, very poorly made and they took me a lot of work to get them to fit.

I'll check out the Cake St ones.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #4 on: 04.08. 2014 12:25 »
I'd suggest  Cake st Classics got mine 9 yrs plus  good fit no messing and still look great despite the english weather,
I will second that. Had my pipes for 12 years now. Good fit, no discolouration, and no sign of any rust. Originally I purchased Armour pipes. They did not fit, and had unsightly kinks in the bend on the short pipe.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 04.08. 2014 12:49 »
Headers I bought from Armours wouldn't even plug into the head. They told be to open out the ports until their pipes would fit. Yeah, right.

I've not had pipes from Roger at Cake Street, but the work he has done for me has always been first class.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #6 on: 07.08. 2014 07:52 »
those Cake Street pipes look reallly nice.....you have me wondering about how well my Armour pipes are going to fit now too. I bought them yonx ago from Armour and have yet to get the engine back in to try them..... *sad2*

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #7 on: 07.08. 2014 12:43 »
those Cake Street pipes look really nice
Yes Jules, and did you notice that unlike the Armour pipes,  the Cake Street pipes are fitted with the correct proper welded on frame attachment bracket? It is attention to little details like that, that make all the difference. The Cake Street pipes fitted perfectly straight "out of the box." Everything lined up just as it should.  I will not go into detail about Armour's attitude when I complained about their pipes. Suffice to say that a short course on public relations, and consumer service would not go amiss.
John