Author Topic: paint removal  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Sealandroader

• Moving Up
Re: paint removal
« Reply #15 on: 03.08. 2014 07:22 »
BONNY  i  have decided to  repaint in 2PK   .   all paint now  stripped off.
If you rob a bank. YOU go to Jail-------If they rob you---THEY. GET A. BONUS

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #16 on: 03.08. 2014 09:55 »
Buy some rustins strypit john
Bonny, I used Nitromoors because by default it was the only stripper that I could find on sale locally. Halfords, B&Q, Homebase, etc. After my experience with stripper, I think however, that I shall probably opt to have the mudguards and the other remaining bits and pieces sandblasted. What prompted me to strip the paint myself was the fact that I had bought this bike as a retirement project. As the main purpose of the project was to give me something to do, it would be defeating the object of the exercise if I farmed bits out that I could reasonably do myself.
John

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 03.08. 2014 11:36 »

Gee- for what it's worth, I think I had intentions of just painting over the original paint, 'cos it seemed to want to stay there, so I figured it can stay-good solid sealer, so used a bit of caustic to just take the rough stuff off mine but left it too long, and everything came off...!    *conf*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 03.08. 2014 14:15 »
BONNY  i  have decided to  repaint in 2PK   .   all paint now  stripped off.

I am doing the same thng myself at the moment, i have most of the crappy powder coat off and have primed the frame and a lot of the cycle parts in 2k epoxy primer (very tough stuff). Still haven't decided which colour to go for though, black or gold. I'd like to go with gold , but it means a bit more work.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 03.08. 2014 15:56 »
2 PK  *eek*

Thought you had to have breathing gear and all sorts for that.
Busy spraying my Flash at the mo, with Cellulose , got the paint from a body shop , the guy got it in special (spirit paint they call it) as all they use now is water based
Anyway it was in two days later, it's a Toyota biege 465 (from memory) and its marked acrylic, he matched it to the Flash's tank colour as it's good and I'm not respraying it.

Anyway I thought as I can't recall a paint thread I'd share my experience and start one, so any experts or well  practised in the art of colour can butt in and put me right and in doing so help us all along.
Watch this forum space as they say
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #20 on: 03.08. 2014 16:26 »
2 PK  *eek*

Thought you had to have breathing gear and all sorts for that.
Busy spraying my Flash at the mo, with Cellulose , got the paint from a body shop , the guy got it in special (spirit paint they call it) as all they use now is water based
Anyway it was in two days later, it's a Toyota biege 465 (from memory) and its marked acrylic, he matched it to the Flash's tank colour as it's good and I'm not respraying it.

Anyway I thought as I can't recall a paint thread I'd share my experience and start one, so any experts or well  practised in the art of colour can butt in and put me right and in doing so help us all along.
Watch this forum space as they say

The problem with celly or acrylic is the ethanol in the petrol will react with it and lift it. Afaik only 2k is tough enough to withstand it. We've all had spills or overfilled the petrol tank, if you do that now your paint could be destroyed.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 03.08. 2014 17:50 »
celly or acrylic is the ethanol in the petrol will react with it

I've heard that but never experienced it even with the odd spill the paint on my tank is just as it was when done 15 years ago , a mate of mine did though and found that you can get fuel resistant clear lacquer which cured his problem.
I have a can but haven't used it yet

Actually (correct me if I'm wrong)  but isn't 2 PK an Acrylic with a hardener
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #22 on: 03.08. 2014 18:38 »
The problem is Bill, ethanol resistant is not good enough. The paint must be ethanol proof. It might be OK for a while. One spill may not cause an instant reaction, but over a period of time ethanol resistant paint will break down. My RGS filler cap tends to be incontinent therefore I never fill the tank right up. Even so if I encounter a bump in the road when the tank has been recently filled, the petrol can splash up, and leak past either the filler cap or the tank top breather. I am quite paranoid  and I am meticulous about wiping petrol off of the outside of the tank. My tank was professionally painted by Lewis Templeton some years ago, but I take no chances.
John

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 03.08. 2014 20:43 »
The nitromors i used bill came in a green can, the stripper itself was a different colour (white) and a different smell to what i remember it. I tried it on both powder coat and paint, i daubed it on heavy and then covered the work with a refuse sack and left it for an hour. When i came back it had only slightly softened both and had not wrinkled it up as you would expect.

I also had this experience with Nitromors; or should we now call it Notremove! I seem to remember that the small print on the can says something about it not removing automotive paints.

While restoring my BSA I used caustic soda to remove most of the grease and paint. CS is cheap from DIY stores. I made up a mixture in a large plastic garden tub. It works well but not instantly.

WARNING 1: DO NOT PUT CAUSTIC SODA ON ALUMINIUM!
WARNING 2: DO NOT PUT WATER ONTO CS GRANULES; ALWAYS ADD CS TO WATER.
WARNING 3: DO NOT BREATH THE FUMES OR GET THE MIXTURE ON YOUR SKIN.

PS.
This bloke doesn't seem to mind putting an aluminIum lever in CS:
http://youtu.be/gTbE316-Dow

I also used CS to remove rust on my iron head and barrels; like this.
http://youtu.be/AQNvhUYqCkw
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 03.08. 2014 20:50 »
celly or acrylic is the ethanol in the petrol will react with it

I've heard that but never experienced it even with the odd spill the paint on my tank is just as it was when done 15 years ago , a mate of mine did though and found that you can get fuel resistant clear lacquer which cured his problem.
I have a can but haven't used it yet

Actually (correct me if I'm wrong)  but isn't 2 PK an Acrylic with a hardener

Thing is bill i don't think there was ethanol in the petrol this side of the atlantic 15 years ago, so the paint would probably have been ok. It would be a pity to pay out for paint and the labour involved in getting a nice job done only to have it washed away with a simple petrol spill.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 03.08. 2014 21:14 »
Thing is bill i don't think there was ethanol in the petrol this side of the atlantic 15 years ago,

ahem - I don't run on fifteen year old petrol bonny  :D
All the best - Bill

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #26 on: 03.08. 2014 21:37 »
Thing is bill i don't think there was ethanol in the petrol this side of the atlantic 15 years ago,

ahem - I don't run on fifteen year old petrol bonny  :D

Its like wine, its better with age ....not.  I had a lot of trouble with ethanol when i put my triumph 500 back on the road after it had been off the road for a few years. The petseal in the tank broke up causing blockages in the carb, the fuel line turned to jelly one day causing a huge leak, and of course when i spilled some petrol on the tank the paint was destroyed. My point was though paint 15 years ago wasn't designed to cope with this muck.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 04.08. 2014 13:03 »
The Nimbus I have listed in my footer had I presume only been used on static display since it's refurbishment. Even within a week or two of a test run I found the paint bubbling under the filler cap. Upon recommendation I went with this stuff:

http://kustomcanz.com/product/2k-clear-coat-custom-aerosol-can

It's horrible money (to my mind) and being a two pack you need to use it in one sitting so to speak. I can report that it sprays on an absolute treat. Following a very protracted battle firstly with NOVA and the DVLA I have only just received my registration papers for this bike, so somewhat uselessly here I cannot yet report on just how impervious this coating will be to the ravishes of the ghastly Ethanol. 

Should have my new number plate and the fuel tank fitted next week for a proper foray out onto the highways and byways this coming weekend. (Yee Haa).
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza