Author Topic: who would you recommend to look at my engine and gearbox for a refurb?  (Read 1795 times)

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
has one of the conrods snapped? i cant decipher what a twisted crank could be?
lack of good 2nd hand spares is the main barrier to rebuilds and i imagine any rebuilder or engineering shop would have the same problem.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
*eek*

When I bought my R/R @18yo, I knew Jack S. and now-?  Heck, now I know just enough to be dangerous..!

Dutch,

Until I read iust a bit further,I thought you knew a mechanic named Jack, who was well known and just went by first name, last initial.

Regarding a twisted crank, maybe others have seen it, but I am having a hard time imagining a crank to be malleable enough to twist 30 degrees, or so, without fracture. I have a feeling there are different definitions for "white metal". It's not a term used in the States. If what is meant here is bits of deformed stainless steel strips, then the main bearing inner race has spun or someone installed the shims on the wrong end of he crank.

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened

Dutch,

Until I read iust a bit further,I thought you knew a mechanic named Jack, who was well known and just went by first name, last initial.
    *lol*
           *lol*            *lol*     
                                              *lol*
 white metal could just be anything shiny- not much genuine white metal left in these anymore is there.....except 'maybe' big-end shells.....? *lol*

*lol* *lol*
 sorry Richard- still chuckling

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline a10 bobber

• Moving Up
Found out a bit more, the bearings had collapsed in the magneto and then filled with oil muck and bullets! Then I guess it misfired whilst a piston was heading north and broke the crank.one piston was sitting 3/4" higher than the other.
 I'd love to post pictures but don't know how.
 So it's been sent to sit with a pile of other ill engines at SRM.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Would be "nice" (or rather interesting) to see what happened.

I'd love to post pictures but don't know how
It's easy, once done the first time (like many other things in life!) Instructions in "Forum Info & Help", post picture questions there and you'll get help.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
due to lubrication issues what commonly happens is the drive side conrod snapping and popping out through the drive side cases. he was lucky.