Author Topic: Fork slider issue  (Read 3132 times)

Offline Golden flash griff

• Moving Up
  • I'm gonna enjoy the ride
Re: Fork slider issue
« Reply #15 on: 27.08. 2014 10:33 »
Thanks Brian, will probably get a new spacer made.

Just seems odd to me that they don't make the head of the spindle larger so that it can't pass through the slider (even the correct 7/8 slider) instead of relying on just the bolt on the bottom to clamp it all up.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #16 on: 27.08. 2014 12:59 »
Jay, just remembered the front wheel setup you should have as brian said is the same,i pretty positive ,as the one on your Dads R/rocket. Use it to compare . I'm sure you can get what you've got to fit but the 8" brake will be much safer for you , alternately should your dad not need his ...... thats what dads ( speaking from experience ) are for ! Best wishes BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 27.08. 2014 14:13 »
The front hub shown in your pic Dutch is the 8" brake which is what Jay should have.

ta Brian, forgot about that..
 Jay, it may work out, but I'm thinking that making bits to adapt an inferior 'wrong' thing can sometimes compound matters later on...how do I know..??

If you have the time, sometimes better to tend to a different area for a while and let the dust settle- sometimes better options present themselves in the meantime..??
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #18 on: 28.08. 2014 10:03 »
hey Dutch,  you're on a roll but that was me

"ta Brian, forgot about that"

and its not often I remember things !! cheers bob.

Jay I've got a couple of fork bottoms for that brake in the garage will take piccys for you to refereence by regards Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

• Moving Up
« Reply #19 on: 28.08. 2014 10:29 »
Hey guys,

Ha I'll have to sneak in to my dads garage and knick his front end, I'm sure he won't mind helping out his boy :) I did pass on your replays to my old man and he said what a mush mash if parts that bloke sold you! But to be fair I did get quite a bit for my money so I'm not complaining!

Thanks Bob, be good for comparison for sure, might be worth investing in the proper 8 inch full with hub for safety like you said! And buying the correct sliders too, always plenty on flee bay! Just a shame as I'd already stripped the sliders and wheel and primed and painted the sliders but I guess all good practice!

Yep I think I'll take your advice Dutch and move on to something else for now! My tank arrived yesterday, very pleased with it, in fantastic shape! I've gone away from the golden flash tank because it's massive :) instead I'm using a bantam D1-D3 tank, smaller but a lovely shape I think!

Thanks for the replies again chaps!

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 28.08. 2014 11:09 »

hey Dutch,  you're on a roll but that was me

"ta Brian, forgot about that"

and its not often I remember things !! cheers bob.

Haha, nice one Bob-  sorry, credit where it's due, Thanks.....but- I wuz sure B.r.i.a.n. spells Brian, unless you're doing some undercover moonlighting back on page 1.... *smile*

either that or 'somebody slipped something in mah drink.'....! *eek*

Griffo, for what it's worth, since your not going original, I grafted a comical front end onto mine, seems a lot of folk don't like those brakes, preferring the previous TLS, but it saved me a couple of days ago- wasn't going fast, but had to pull up in a hurry..!

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

• Moving Up
« Reply #21 on: 28.08. 2014 20:21 »
Well would you believe it, the old man stepped up and has a complete front end from an A65 so will be using that now. Didn't even have to ask, he offered. Guess his next project is a little ways behind mine so said I can use it...result!

Dutch...you had me googling comical front end and I can tell you, it turn up some interesting stuff, not to mention photos I wouldn't want to post on here  *eek* then I realised you meant conical  *smile*

Anyway, glad your break pulled you up safely, definitely got me thinking that getting a better front brake is so essential and I think the A65 is an 8" full width so should do the job!