Author Topic: Indian Tanks - Any Good  (Read 819 times)

Offline hughatthepub

• Active
Indian Tanks - Any Good
« on: 27.08. 2014 08:01 »
Hi All, I am looking for a consensus on these, are they a good enough fit, what's the chrome like??? For my bike (1960 A7 SS) I think the tank should be about 8" high, 20" long etc but the only tanks on ebay with measurements suggest that the Indian ones are going to be 10½" high, has anyone bought and fitted an A7SS tank from them (EnfieldCountry or somesuch, I assume the tanks all come from the same factory - or am I wrong here?) and noticed the difference?? Is it worth the extra to buy one through UK importer and if so who gives the best service for this??

Thanks!!

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Re: Indian Tanks - Any Good
« Reply #1 on: 27.08. 2014 08:15 »
Unfortunately its really difficult to give a recomendation due to the inconsistency in the Indian parts. You can buy two identical items from the same supplier at the same time and one will be ok and the other junk.

About a year ago a friend of mine bought two RGS type tanks made in India, both from the same supplier at the same time, one was very good, probably one of the best replica tanks I have ever seen come from India. Unfortunately the second one was absolute rubbish and he sent it back.

If its is possible go to a shop and inspect the tank you are buying before buying it, or at the very least buy from a shop that you can return the tank if your not happy.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 27.08. 2014 08:24 »
I think Brain has it right, I bought my RGS tank from local dealer at Peebles autojumble and was able to select it.
there is also the rose tinted glasses aspect of all this, I was bemoaning the fact that my "new" front chrome rim was showing small pock marks of rust then realised I put them on 15 years ago, thinking further if I'd bought a new Flash in 1960 and the rims were just starting to show a bit of rust in 1975 I'd probably be well pleased
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #3 on: 27.08. 2014 08:37 »
I assume the tanks all come from the same factory - or am I wrong here?) and noticed the difference?? Is it worth the extra to buy one through UK importer

I don't think there's a ''factory'' making them. To my opinion they are made by local panel beaters wanting to earn some money on the side, hence the difference in quality.
I bought one through a dutch parts dealer about 2 years ago. As suggested, I paid a bit more but this gave me the opportunity to inspect before buying.
The steel's good quality thick gauge, chrome also good, but a bit yellowish. According to a guy I spoke about this, and who is a metallurgist, it's because they used to much nickel in the chrome.
I also had to rinse the inside as there was some loose dirt and rust on the inside.

'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 27.08. 2014 09:21 »
yes the insides do rust very quickly, not to difficult to give them a seal  while still new
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Seabee

• A's Good Friend
  • 1957 Road Rocket
« Reply #5 on: 27.08. 2014 13:00 »
I bought one for my road rocket through an importer in Florida.  That way, if it was junk it would be much easier to return than sending to India!  I had to pay a little more, but turns out it was very nice and the inside of the tank was sealed.  The chrome was a little thin in spots, but not noticeable to the untrained eye.  The biggest difference was the bottom of the tank.  Somewhat differently configured than the original.  I had to fabricate a lower front mount to properly capture the frame rubbers.  All in all, I'd do it again.

Joe
1961 Super Rocket
1957 Road Rocket
2009 Harley Electra Glide Classic
1993 Harley Springer Softtail
1971 Harley Shovelhead
1970 Harley Sportster Chopper
1957 Harley Panhead Chopper
1982 Yamaha XT550
2001 KTM EXC 400
1970 Honda CT70
Southern Illinois, USA

Offline hughatthepub

• Active
« Reply #6 on: 28.08. 2014 10:22 »
Interesting stuff, can anyone recommend somewhere in the UK that imports them and would stand by their product if I thought it was no good???
Also I would like to know what is the correct "height" dimension for an A7 SS tank 1960 vintage, my old one seems to be about 8" from base to bottom of filler upstand, the Indian supplier quotes 10.5", I have nothing to compare mine to except pictures from magazines where the tank height looks similar to the 8" Dia. drum brakes on the front hub......

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 01.09. 2014 16:42 »
Interesting stuff, can anyone recommend somewhere in the UK that imports them and would stand by their product if I thought it was no good???
Also I would like to know what is the correct "height" dimension for an A7 SS tank 1960 vintage, my old one seems to be about 8" from base to bottom of filler upstand, the Indian supplier quotes 10.5", I have nothing to compare mine to except pictures from magazines where the tank height looks similar to the 8" Dia. drum brakes on the front hub......

If you buy on-line or you are not present at the purchase in the UK you are covered by the Distance Selling Regs which means that anything you buy can be returned within 7 working days of receipt without question, though you will most likely have to pay the return carriage and appropriate insurance.

So if you were not happy you can simply return it.

Most UK BSA dealers would be able to supply one. Lightening are around the £200/250 range with Burton's at the top end at around the £400 mark.

Option is one that would just be chromed leaving you to get the paint done or you can buy fully painted, but may vary in quality. 

Offline hughatthepub

• Active
« Reply #8 on: 02.09. 2014 14:12 »
Does anyone know if all the tanks were the same, i.e. A7, A7SS, A10 RGS and so on? If not, what were the differences? When did the pear shaped badges appear and what models had which badges??

Also I would like to know about the sizes of the chrome panels, or did this vary quite a bit, does anyone know??