Author Topic: Strange oil leak  (Read 549 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Strange oil leak
« on: 30.08. 2014 17:02 »
Not every time that I go out for a ride, but sometimes the following day I find a little pool of oil under the bike. It is a completely random occurrence, and it makes no difference if I use the centre stand or the side stand. I am fairly certain that it is coming from the oil tank breather pipe. I am wondering whether this could be due to a siphoning affect caused  maybe by having the oil level in the tank a bit to high. Has anyone else had this problem? There are no other oil leaks that I can see. Incidentally,  l never see any evidence of oil drips if I stop and park up for a while when I am out on the bike.
John

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Strange oil leak
« Reply #1 on: 31.08. 2014 00:43 »

I have a bit similar..not much, but a bit of everything.!
 Could be like you say just a residual drip from the breather pipes (both). you could run a hose into a small tin or bottle..?
Have a smell of it gear oil is generally distinctively different to engine oil, and what colour, Atf in chaincase.??

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia