Author Topic: Center stand question  (Read 815 times)

Offline Andreas Larsen

• A's Good Friend
Center stand question
« on: 30.08. 2014 20:10 »
Hey guys,

I'm having problems with my centre stand; when I do left turns it scrapes the road even though I'm not leaning heavily. Is that a common problem or something anyone has experienced?

I'm not 100% sure the stand I have fitted is original, or at least the rod/foot pad may have broken off at some point in it's life and a new one has been welded on that's not done great.

I may try bending it a little, but as mentioned the welding is not done great and may break  *dunno*

Cheers
Andreas
'58 A10 swingarm

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: Center stand question
« Reply #1 on: 30.08. 2014 21:20 »
Hi Andreas, some time ago there was a thread on the forum about this subject.
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=2949.0
On there you'll find some drawings from the parts book, and at the bottom of the page you'll find a picture of my '58 stand.
The foot lever should bend nicely upwards around the silencer at about 10 mm distance when it's up.

Or else you could drive a bit slower...! *smile*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Andreas Larsen

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 30.08. 2014 21:32 »
Thanks Morris, I'll have a read through it - yeah I'm a bit of a renegade blasting through them corners!
Zoom-zoom! ..well.. ish..

The foot lever doesn't bend anywhere near nicely around the silencer, it's more like sticking straight out from the side and is really just a piece of iron rod anyway.. The stand itself is in god nick so I really wouldn't want to replace it... I might just try and ask someone who can weld to help me out..

I would love to post a pic., but my bike is sat in the remote garage (aka. my parents'  *smile*) since I live in a flat and don't like it to stand out in the cold and scary road all by itself.

Andreas
'58 A10 swingarm

Offline Andreas Larsen

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 30.08. 2014 21:42 »
All the more troublesome...

My model is indeed one of the ones as mentioned in the forum link that has the spring anchor on the "wrong" side.. which may be the explanation of why the stand fitted is somewhat strange, who knows..
'58 A10 swingarm

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #4 on: 30.08. 2014 22:13 »
Shouldn't be to difficult grinding the old peg off and weld something decent on to it. Make a cardboard template to get the right bend first, then bend an iron rod, get it welded on and everyone will think its original... ;)
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
Belgium

Offline Andreas Larsen

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 30.08. 2014 22:18 »
Not a bad plan...
The problem is the welder then, since I'm more skilled in philosophy than metalworking I need to find someone trustworthy - good thing it's not a part of the frame that needs welding  *smile*
Or I might just spend my winter with a metalworking class? Might come in handy later on...
'58 A10 swingarm

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #6 on: 30.08. 2014 22:39 »
Or I might just spend my winter with a metalworking class?
Go for it. Being a philosopher will be a great help. And I'm not joking here... Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, remember?
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
Belgium

Offline Andreas Larsen

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 31.08. 2014 07:59 »
Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, remember?
Aye, it's a must-have! I'm gonna try to remove my exhaust today, the bolts are rusted badly at the ports - let's see how well my zen holds up!  *smile*
'58 A10 swingarm