Author Topic: RGS QD plug  (Read 1151 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
RGS QD plug
« on: 02.09. 2014 12:21 »
Can anyone tell me in which order the RGS QD plug goes together? I am getting ready to connect it to the wiring harness, but I am unsure about the correct positioning of the flat disc (4th from right in the photo) and the small flanged tube (5th from right) in the picture. I am guessing that the disc probably goes directly behind the plug. I have know idea about the flanged tube, or about which way it faces. Any advice will be very welcome. 

John

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
Re: RGS QD plug
« Reply #1 on: 02.09. 2014 14:13 »
 Sorry, I can't answer your question John but please tell us where you got the parts from since they look new.
I had all those QD parts and a complete loom some years back but ditched them because of some rubber perishing and assumed, wrongly, that I could get replacements.....wrong.
Cheers
Alan
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 02.09. 2014 15:21 »

Have never seen one of these,so don't think I can help, but is that 4th and 5th from my right or yours....?? or do you mean the other right..??

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #3 on: 02.09. 2014 17:25 »
Alan, Indeed the plug and socket are new and they are available from: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Trophy-BSA-Goldstar-Headlamp-QD-Plug-Socket-/141345380372?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item20e8d75814  It has been on sale for quite a while now. A bit more information you might find useful. If you do not have a QD headlamp here is a picture with all the dimensions for converting a standard headlamp to QD spec. You will however need to track down the correct switch/ammeter panel or convert your existing panel by welding in a plate. The opening in the standard plate is to big for the RGS light switch

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 02.09. 2014 19:25 »
Oh heck John, and there was me thinking I knew all the nuances of the RGS  but now you mention the RGS light switch....what's that about?
Sorry to divert your topic but I wont sleep at night now until I find out.........
Cheers
Alan
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #5 on: 02.09. 2014 20:34 »
Well, its not completely diverting the topic because your question is related to the QD plug in headlamp. Anyway look at the two attached pictures. One shows the the 41SA switch that is fitted to the RGS, and Gold Star QD plug in headlamp. The 41SA was also fitted to the late A10 and A7s. The other picture is of the U39 switch that seems to be fitted to all the headlamps that are on general sale (repros included). There is no reason why you could not use a U39 switch. It depends how authentic you want it to look. You might have a long search for a 41SA switch panel. It took me ages to track one down. It would be quicker probably to get a plate welded in a panel meant for the U39 switch if that is the way you want to go. Plenty of them about new and used. I will PM you tomorrow with details about how exactly I did my conversion. I nearly forgot to mention that the 41SA switch needs a trim plate. The plate is not normally included with the switch.

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 02.09. 2014 21:59 »
hi guys, got this some time ago don't remember it being too costly, need to fit it some time in the future, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 02.09. 2014 22:07 »
a10,
               Have a look at the link which you posted, it shows the assembly.
The plug set is a bit expensive from that lot, cheaper from Tri-Cor.