Author Topic: Rear wheel alignment issue...Please help  (Read 531 times)

Offline Golden flash griff

• Moving Up
  • I'm gonna enjoy the ride
Rear wheel alignment issue...Please help
« on: 02.09. 2014 21:28 »
Hi guys,

So my second post is a question about the rear wheel on my a10.

The guy I bought it off has a 16" rear wheel fitted, now it was in the frame when I bought it but as you can see from the photos the tire sits way over to the right and nowhere near inline with the frame etc.

I'm assuming that's not right because, well basically it looks C@#p and the rear mudguard would look awful. So my question is what's going on and how do I fix it? The rear drum and sprocket seem as far over as they can go so is it something to do with the lacing of the spokes? As you can tell I have no clue so any help is greatly appreciated.

Jay

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Rear wheel alignment issue...Please help
« Reply #1 on: 02.09. 2014 23:48 »
 Don't wanna scare you Jay, but I had the same issue- turned out  the frame was bent.... *eek*
but not to say yours is.....!

Possible that (and looks like it is-easy fix?) the wheel is offset to cater for the tyre/chain clearance (how wide is tyre?)
Do you have the proper wheel components, this is important, not for originality, but for ease of function....as I discovered...!
 There was chat about this not long ago, no time for detail now, but I set mine up with string lines kind of like setting out a construction.
 Before you go berserk though, I reckon best to have at least the gearbox in place so you can check sprocket/chain alignment first.
  Have to leave it there, that should be enough to keep you busy..... *smile*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 03.09. 2014 00:14 »
Back when chopper building was popular the usual rear tyre size was 5.00 x 16, and the rim was offset to the right for tyre/chain clearance as duTch says....little things like the wheels being in line weren't important!!

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 03.09. 2014 00:47 »

..little things like the wheels being in line weren't important!!

unless you like doing corners *smile*

just came back to check if I said what I thought I said, wheel looks about half inch off to the right..??
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia