Author Topic: running in  (Read 306 times)

Offline Bill ss

• A's Best Friend
running in
« on: 10.09. 2014 21:11 »
Evening gents,i had my first ride on the a7 today just gave her a little shakedown to get the feel of her.Its very different to the new Bonnie, the front tyre is perished so i only rode around the 20MPH roads away of the traffic.

I only put six miles on the clock then brought her home put her on the stand then waited for the oil leaks,Yahoo dry as a bone.

Question, she is thought to have been a rebuild but i have nothing to confirm so i will run her in as though it was rebuilt,i've done a search but can't find anything about it ,so a little idea about speed and milage would be helpful.

I gave her an oil change when i bought her,when would be best to give her another.

The first half of this post is in the right section sorry if the second half is wrong *conf*

It might be best if anyone replys to do it in the engine section and we won't get shouted at. *smile* *smile*

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: running in
« Reply #1 on: 10.09. 2014 22:24 »
G'day Bill.
A good way to tell if she was rebuilt recently is to look for crud (road grime) on the case bolts under and behind the motor. Also the condition of the gaskets (the bits protruding from the joints), the head gasket will be shiny (look between the fins.
Some like to run in slow, others fairly quickly. I'm in the 2nd group. Stick to about 1/2 revs (45-50mph in 4th) for about 100-150 miles (not in one day, best to have a few heat cycles), don't let it labor up hills, throw her back a gear or two. Try not to sit at a constant speed for too long, vary it a few mph every minute or so.
Change oil & clean filters after first 100 miles and again at 500 miles.
After the 1st oil change she can be taken up to 60-70 mph but still don't let it labor up hills, 500 miles job done.
 *whistle* When racing I considered it run in once it got warm  *evil*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Bill ss

• A's Best Friend
Re: running in
« Reply #2 on: 11.09. 2014 17:34 »
Thanks muskrat,on a side note i went out to move the bike today and my front tyre was flat, i'm glad i did'nt blast around on her yesterday.