Author Topic: Ongoing saga of gerrys a10 (compression)  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
Re: Ongoing saga of gerrys a10 (compression)
« Reply #30 on: 10.01. 2015 10:28 »
Hi Muskrat, What a difference to what it has been, what with the sticking carb' slides (2 carbs') head leak (skimmed), wrong engine timing gear (A7 long stroke),
sliders (badly worn inside), electrical problem (no charging), engine complete strip after finding vapor blasting residue in the pressure relief valve, oil tank split and rewelded after finding it full of media blasting grit, wrong head bolts (hex size too large), the front engine plates 1/2" out to the frame, twisted swinging arm, crack between the valve locations in the cast head, frame full of rust holes (discovered by the powder coaters after blasting), wrong rims (stainless from India) and the multiple mag changes I now feel like I have survived the biggest headache ever!!  BUT BOY DOES IT FEEL GOOD TO HAVE SURVIVED THIS NIGHTMARE!! The end result is that after taking it out for a blast round the block today I feel on top of the World. Cheers. Gerry

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 10.01. 2015 14:51 »
Congratulations Gerry. You have earned the right to enjoy it extensively. Perseverance can be a pain, but does usually pay off.

Richard L.

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #32 on: 11.01. 2015 06:12 »
Hi Richard, Guys, OK went on a club run today after a pancake breakfast at a club members house, bike running beautifully... Did 110 miles but..... stopped for lunch at a place called Birdwood in the Adelaide hills (no sign of any burned out land) but just before we arrived there she started to miss on one cylinder AGAIN!!! kept going on one cyl' till we got to Birdwood, put her on the stand and remembered I had forgotten to put the spare plugs into the tool box. Checking the bike I found one lead had come unscrewed out of the pick up. Great now I know it isn't a major problem. Replaced it and on the ride home went like a dream until about five miles to go and stopped at the traffic lights she wouldn't change gear!! lever would not move, so continued in third till I got home and parked it in the drive. The wife came out to greet me and shouted look at the oil your dropping on the drive!!! Gearbox oil was pouring out in a stream. So looks like the output seal has shit itself. Too tired to check it out now so put her in the shed for future investigation..lol. I think someone "up there" is trying to tell me an old git like me should be doing something more sedate with my aging body. he he. But all in all a bloody great ride. Cheers. Gerry

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #33 on: 11.01. 2015 21:22 »
Just give up and sell it! I would.

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 11.01. 2015 21:48 »
Hi Wilko, Yep I guess many would, but that's not me and maybe unfortunately, but I will get this bike running as it should especially after such a good run yesterday, listening to that great exhaust sound. Mind you, your not the first that has suggested that, my wife being the loudest!! Fortunate to most of us there are people out there that start a rebuild, get bored during the process or too busy to continue and sell the parts on. At the age of 16 when I got my first bike, a 33 Ariel 500 Red Hunter, I had no help from anyone in getting it running reliably, but I did in the end after many frustration tears and I guess that's where my will to see things through started and probably my fault finding skills (or lack of).............can't wait to get out the shed on my poor knees. lol Cheers. Gerry

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #35 on: 12.01. 2015 10:26 »
Hi Guys, Found the problem!!! After removing the clutch plus outer and inner covers and then the gearbox secondary sprocket, removed the circlip and removed the seal....looked ok, I'm getting more and more puzzled. So removed the outer gearbox cover complete with kick-starter and gear lever, once off the gear lever was as free as but the selector fork was jammed tight and wouldn't move. Then noticed this rod was jammed hard against it??? he he some silly bugger tightened the selector rod grub screw but not in the groove in the rod, so the rod slowly moved across until it jammed the selector fork and at the same time left its location in the case allowing all the oil to drain out. So chucked the grub screw and used a modified shcs with reduced end which now sits snugly into the selector rod groove. Also removed the silly domed head drain bolt and fitted a standard whitwoth 5/16" set screw (got a deeper hex for the socket) Now all I have got to do is put it all back together. Cheers. Gerry

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 12.01. 2015 11:20 »

Hey Gerry, I haven't had anything to input for a while, and no good heckle openings(weeeeelll..not much!! *shh*), but have kinda seen the saga and am happy for you that you had a decent jaunt out......and weren't too far from home when the gears went spazzo......but at least you found problem easy...lets hope it's all up from here.!!!!

*wink2* *wink2*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #37 on: 12.01. 2015 22:06 »
Hi Dutch, Yeah was puzzling for a while and then when the gear cover came off didn't take long to gather what had happened. But the ride was great, it sounds and goes really great and a pleasure to handle. I'm just itching to get it back together and go for another ride. As they say "patience is a virtue" lol. Gerry

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #38 on: 06.02. 2015 05:59 »
Well, made two paper gaskets and replaced inner cover lining up the pop marks on the case and selector fork (or so I thought) put the outer case on, filled her with oil and went for a ride.....started out ok but on selecting second I got a neutral, tried again and still neutral even though I could feel the gear change. Came home, took the outer cover off and low and behold, when in neutral the dots were not in line dohhh!!! Off comes the inner cover again and this time aligned the dots properly before easing the inner cover back on with another new gasket. Checked the dots all ok. Put all back together and this time everything worked as it should. Thinking about it, when putting the clutch back together after the selector shaft incident I noticed that when I tightened the mainshaft nut the inner clutch hub was not as free as I thought it should be. It seemed to be binding against the outer drum. Would this be the cause of difficulty finding neutral? Could the clutch rollers be too long? Cheers. Gerry

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #39 on: 06.02. 2015 09:37 »
 Geez Gerry, I realized I've lost track on if yours is S/A or plunger, when you said 'dots to align' it''s a S/A..and rollers suggests fourspring clutch...?..which puts it out of my league- might be time to go to clutch and box department, can't think of anything offhand.. *beer*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #40 on: 06.02. 2015 11:54 »
Hi Dutch, Yes its a 59 swinging arm job with a four spring clutch. As you suggest I shall continue elsewhere. Cheers. Gerry

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #41 on: 06.02. 2015 21:05 »
HI Jerry
Clutch rollers should be .225 long
0.250 long rollers will make the clutch bind as you describe

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)