Author Topic: Cam followers  (Read 3613 times)

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
Cam followers
« on: 13.09. 2014 21:47 »
Hi John, How do I check that the pressure relief valve is opening at the correct pressure? The cam trough is full of oil and the cams are ok thank goodness. Check out the pics' of the followers...ugh!! Cheers, Gerry

adm edit: topic split and given descriptive title

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Cam followers
« Reply #1 on: 13.09. 2014 22:02 »
WOW
not so much followed as followed through
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 13.09. 2014 22:05 »
That is the worst set that I have ever seen, Gerry!
Maybe get them built up with Stellite and ground to correct radius?

Trev.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 13.09. 2014 22:31 »
Hi Gerry,
Luckily I have access to a deadweight tester, I made up a fitting to screw the first few threads into
Oil flows out the holes half way along when the ball or piston opens the port (depending on type)

I would suggest you ask your friend who builds those shiney A's or find a company that does instrument calibration, You will need the adaptor piece made up for them though

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 14.09. 2014 09:42 »
Hi Bill, I think the wording should be throw as in chuck!!

Offline wardleybob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 14.09. 2014 15:06 »
Hi Gerry why don't you get your cams & followers stelite wellded . Job done for good rob

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 15.09. 2014 00:19 »
Hi Fellas, Trev, do you know of a company that does a good job of stelite welding. Years and years ago when I still worked (that word makes me feel absolutely sick!!) we used to get large seal rings re stelited when it first appeared on the market here in Oz and the company that did it used to leave large cracks in the stelite through shrinkage but as they progressed and their expertise improved the cracks disappeared so any one know of a reputable company that can do it? OK just got off the phone and Green Welding here in Adelaide can do it and Rick Corbett Engineering can do the profiling but will cost more than getting a set of hardened and ground ones. The way it is going to be used really won't cause a great deal of wear in my time so the extra cost isn't really worth the bother. Cheers. Gerry

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 15.09. 2014 05:02 »
hi guys, what is the cost of repairing rather than getting some new/used ones,cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 15.09. 2014 05:41 »
Hi Kiwipom, The sum I was quoted roughly over the phone was around $40-$80 for the stellite welding, depending how much needed to be put on and between $80-$140 for the re profiling or grinding, again depending how much grinding was required. Of course the followers would have to be the same length as the original size (1.750" I believe) and the radius is 1.250" according to my measurement on the fairly good follower. So minimum cost would be around $120 and the max about $220. This weould be a far better way to go but how would the cam stand up to contacting stellite??? New ones are just about unobtainable as are good secondhand ones. Cheers. Gerry

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #9 on: 15.09. 2014 07:23 »
British Only Austria have new sets for 105 Euro which is about $150 our money.

http://www.vintage-motorcycle.com/index.php?language=en&site=4&pid=201&id=5461&suchtext=BSA cam&limit=20

Gerry are you going to the Balhannah swap ? I'll be there with some stuff for sale and I have a few used sets of these, I have one set that is useable, not perfect but ok.

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 15.09. 2014 12:28 »
Hi Brian, Thanks for the offer mate it is really appreciated but guess what....I got a reconditioned set from the chap that gets them done for him. He gave them to me as I make up quite a few nuts and bolts that he can no longer get hold of. I took a dozen magdyno sprocket/gear securing nuts I had made for him this morning and he gave me the followers and took mine in exchange. I still have to make some acorn blind nuts for him in 1/4" BSF which I believe are for the rocker inspection caps on the A65. He did my K2F mag' for me and I have to renovate his old Hercus lathe in need of tender loving care in exchange for the mag' overhaul. How good is he? What I need to do now is find some more hexagon bars for making nuts and bolts in Imperial sizes. Thanks again fella and I'll see you at Balhannah if I can make it. Cheers. Gerry Will send you a private message.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 15.09. 2014 14:20 »
Balhannah looks like fun and a good swap opportunity. Wish I could go, but I don't think I'll be able to make it this year.    *smile* ;)

Richard L.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #12 on: 15.09. 2014 21:44 »
Good to see the old barter system working for you Gerry, no tax, no GST(vat), everyone wins.
I'm wondering if you got a new cam nitride'ed how it would go against the stellite followers.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 15.09. 2014 22:13 »
Gerry,
                You have done well with the followers.
Try Atlas Steels for the Imperial hex bar. I use the free machining steeTrev.

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 16.09. 2014 01:33 »
Hi Richard, Would love for you to come to one of our swap meets here in Oz but wouldn't be on the scale of yours in the States though! Hi Muskrat, Yeah thanks mate, I would be waiting for the bank balance to look a bit more healthy otherwise eh? I'm not sure what kind of hardening is used on the followers he gave me but I recon' the stellite would outlast nitriding at a guess though. Hi Trev, thanks for the tip on Atlas Steel, I'll give them a go and see what they have available. Cheers fellas and thanks again. Gerry

adm edit: C15 content (offtopic) moved to new post in bikes, pictures & members.