Author Topic: Cam followers  (Read 3593 times)

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Cam followers
« Reply #30 on: 24.11. 2014 11:56 »
Keith, not for the first two oil changes. Everything needs to bed in. Use a high zinc oil.
Cheers.

This won't turn into another oil thread WILL it *ex*
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
« Reply #31 on: 24.11. 2014 18:49 »
All of us old  and young "BRIT BIKERS" need to be cautious on what we add to our oils, because the wrong proportions can destroy the factory made benefits of the base structure of the oil.

Not an oil thread just a caution ! ! ! !
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #32 on: 27.11. 2014 02:01 »
Me again Guys!!! Took the beast out again yesterday and visited my son about 5 k's and up quite a steep hill. Didn't miss a beat. Had a cuppa with him and when returning to the bike wouldn't start again as before but between him and I kicking the bejasus out of it, it eventually started and got me home. Still haven't checked out all the tests on the mag as yet as I did the same thing as last time and just parked it and got me feet up!! Tried starting it again this morning and no go. I have a feeling in me water it might be soft pick up brushes coating the slip ring!!.  Cheers. Gerry

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 27.11. 2014 08:33 »
sounds oh so familiar Gerry, I tried everything with the maggie with much the same result as you with one exception that came a little too late that is to stick another fibre washer under the safety pins (Beezermac I think).
This I must try as I got the same sort of fault on two Magneto's both of which run fine on a lower compression bike  *eek*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 27.11. 2014 11:12 »
Hi Bill, Do you mean the safety pointy end screws that go into the housing and cause the slip ring to break when you take the armature out without removing them?!!! Been there, done that... Funny thing is I managed to get it running today first kick with throttle closed on two occasions and I haven't touched a thing. Engine cold. I wonder if its a mixture problem when hot as if it starts at all it is always with the throttle wide open. Cheers. Gerry

Offline KeithJ

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #35 on: 27.11. 2014 11:47 »
Keith, not for the first two oil changes. Everything needs to bed in. Use a high zinc oil.
Cheers.

This won't turn into another oil thread WILL it *ex*
Will get some miles on it first and then add it.  Was not too sure why so sensitive about oil threads but having looked at various sites, now understand.  How about "the Glory that once was Greece"?
'59 A10RR + Second engine

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 27.11. 2014 12:18 »
Hi Bill, Do you mean the safety pointy end screws that go into the housing and cause the slip ring to break when you take the armature out without removing them?!!!

That's them
So another theory bites the dust
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #37 on: 27.11. 2014 12:43 »

Hey Gerry, I have a similar thing if I'm out on errands and forget to turn off the fuel,even for a short visit- figure it's mixture or float level, but if I turn fuel off all is kinda ok, if not- just needs a kick or two with quarter/ half or so of throttle.....have learned to live with it for now
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #38 on: 27.11. 2014 22:31 »

Hey Gerry, I have a similar thing if I'm out on errands and forget to turn off the fuel,even for a short visit- figure it's mixture or float level, but if I turn fuel off all is kinda ok, if not- just needs a kick or two with quarter/ half or so of throttle.....have learned to live with it for now
Hi Dutch, It don't matter whether I leave the petcocks on or off, still the same result. To me it sounds like the float level might be too high as it obviously needs more fuel at a cold start eh? My wife tells me "Someone Up There" doesn't want an old coot like me out there on two wheels pretending I'm a bloody 16 year old but I'm not listening, ain't it great when your hearing is buggered along with most other things!!! The lack of firing on the left cylinder is worse at cold start but improves as she warms up, still there occasionally at idle, well mostly, but better when hot. Cheers.  Gerry

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #39 on: 27.11. 2014 23:28 »
A closed throttle will create much more suction at kick over speeds. It's my usual starting method with most of my bikes in the past.

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #40 on: 28.11. 2014 04:11 »
A closed throttle will create much more suction at kick over speeds. It's my usual starting method with most of my bikes in the past.
Hi Wilco, Yeah thats what makes me think maybe mixture too rich at hot star with throttle closed. Cheers. Gerry