Author Topic: Oil Line  (Read 1727 times)

Offline ninny

• Active
Oil Line
« on: 20.09. 2014 10:09 »
I am  getting close to completing a rebuild on my AA7 (short stroke motor).   When installing the oil line to the tappit covers, I noticed that there is a small bead inside the plastic tube which connects the oil line from the oil tank to the oil line to the tappit covers.  This bead has a very fine hole in it.  I am worried that this very small hole would not allow enough oil through to the top of the motor.  Is this small bead supposed to be situated in this oil line?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Oil Line
« Reply #1 on: 20.09. 2014 11:09 »
never heard of anything supposed to be in that line but haven't heard everything yet.
Possibly a PO attempt to restrict the flow to the tappets if there was excessive smoking or similar
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 20.09. 2014 15:40 »
I think the answer is "No", no bead in the line. You should be sure there is no issue with the hole size(s) in the rockerbox feed bolts. Look here: http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=2001.msg12809#msg12809 . (Maybe, even, look at the link on my post there. Been here so long it's hard to avoid myself.)

Richard L.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 20.09. 2014 21:47 »
A PO has probably soldered the joint and not cleaned out the hole.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 20.09. 2014 23:42 »

I don't think they originally came with a plastic hose *conf*-rubber maybe, but a ball in there is like a non flow valve, *eek* get rid of it....!
 Also make sure you use banjo bolt with the right size hole, as too big a hole will supply to much oil and cause issues, as and Richard suggested, and to small, Weeeell...?
  They do come in different sizes..as I discovered....!
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline ninny

• Active
« Reply #5 on: 21.09. 2014 00:41 »
Yes, I agree with you guys. This bead has a hole in it the size of a sewing needle and would restrict oil flow too much.  Thinks for the reminder about banjo bolt hole sizes.

see pics

Offline ninny

• Active
« Reply #6 on: 21.09. 2014 00:43 »
pic 2

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 21.09. 2014 10:59 »
Is it there for the same reason children notoriously put beans in their ears?

http://youtu.be/7YyGNybINeU

Actually, if you really want to play around with oil supply to the top end, how about altering the restriction effect in the scavenge line, downstream of the takeoff to the rocker box? 
Not that I can think of a good reason to mess about with it.

Offline ninny

• Active
« Reply #8 on: 21.09. 2014 11:56 »
I have removed the restrictor bead and connected the pipes back up.  Will see how it goes.  I think too much oil to the rockers is better than not enough.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 21.09. 2014 12:22 »
if you really want to play around with oil supply to the top end, how about altering the restriction effect in the scavenge line

not sure I like the sound of that TT.
I believe the small hole in  return pipe in the tank is BSAs preferred option, wonder if that's been tinkered with Ninny
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 21.09. 2014 13:06 »
if you really want to play around with oil supply to the top end, how about altering the restriction effect in the scavenge line

not sure I like the sound of that TT.
I believe the small hole in  return pipe in the tank is BSAs preferred option, wonder if that's been tinkered with Ninny

I know that some people do try reducing the diameter somewhere, to squeeze more oil up there. I don't know how they got on. 

Reducing oil supply to the rockers sounds mad to me and anyway the hole in that "bead" looks small enough to get blocked completely.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #11 on: 21.09. 2014 13:59 »
It used to be a fashionable modification .
We used to pinch off the oil return stand pipe to force more oil to the head.
I think it was started by some one who pined for the days of 2000 mile decokes as all the was accompliched was flooding the head and sucking a lot more oil down the inlet guide.
Hay but were all ace "tuners" when we war 18 wern't we ?
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 21.09. 2014 14:20 »
Hay but were all ace "tuners" when we war 18 wern't we ?

Hell no I got that far at 17 via a NSU quickly (not very), I probably held the record for maximum use at full throttle and number of drive shaft keys used in a year (until my dad cured that one with a home made, tempered key made from the end of a file, cured the key breaking issue but involved buying new drive shafts  *conf*
All the best - Bill

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 21.09. 2014 15:16 »
Isn't it strange: a teenager's assumption that the factory made mistakes that he must rectify with his dad's joinery screwdrivers and bed frame spanners!

That was me too.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 21.09. 2014 15:21 »
or even a small bead with a hole in it *smile*
All the best - Bill