Author Topic: Oil Line  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
RE: Oil Line
« Reply #15 on: 21.09. 2014 17:56 »
Here goes, I had an old timer BSA guy tell me he used to install the bulbous end of a medium sized cotter pin, into the oil return pipe in the oil tank, and then bend the feet around the tube to keep it there.  This creates a little more resistance to all of the oil going back in the tank, and sends more oil, (the old timer said 25% more) up to the rocker arms.  I asked Musky and bsa-bill about this.  They both agreed this was probably not a good Idea.  BSA did not do everything right in their manufacturing, but this oil feed factory made restriction must be right on, look how long it has worked for these bikes. REMEMBER also that originally the upper oiling was relying on the oil splash system.  Have you ever run your bike with the valve covers taken off and observed the goings on, well there is oil splashing every where, it gets thrown off of the tappet adjusters, if it is working as designed there is plenty of oil up there.  bsa-bill said sure you would have more oil in the cam trough (drains down the push rods to followers and cam) so no danger of starving the cam bushes for oil, but the PRV is designed to do just that.  Musky said he would be concerned that there might not be enough oil for the scavenge side, of the oil pump, to cope with it.  Both of these observations by them are very valid positions. It harkens back to >>  "if it is not broken do not fix it" .  NUFF SAID, please comment back on these observations, from your experiences with rocker oiling's.

RGS-BILL
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Oil Line
« Reply #16 on: 21.09. 2014 18:07 »
Have you ever run your bike with the valve covers taken off and observed the goings on, well there is oil splashing every where, it gets thrown off of the tappet adjusters,

Good way to waterproof the leggings Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
« Reply #17 on: 21.09. 2014 18:19 »
Bill. the part about a good way to water proof the leggings, well that is one I never thought of.  Really  a fun point !!!!
 *smile* *smile* *smile*  yuk, yuk, yuk,  etc.
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #18 on: 22.09. 2014 10:46 »
Bill and Bill, Yep, can agree, took my tappet covers off to check how things were going quite a while back and soon had an oil splash zone around the bike that proved beyond dought that the oil was getting there ( thankfully )!! don't intend to do it again anytime soon , BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline bobandbec

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 24.09. 2014 15:32 »
Just to digress slightly. What internal diameter should the oil lines on a 1960 A10 be, 5/16", 3/8".?  I thought they were the smaller but someone told me they were 3/8?
Thanks

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 24.09. 2014 19:37 »
Hi. I run 5/16" bore oil hose on my A10, and make the hose assembly with barbed type connectors which allow hose to simply push over, for extra security you can add hose clip.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline bobandbec

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #21 on: 24.09. 2014 22:26 »
Thank You