Author Topic: deadly back yard critters  (Read 2817 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: deadly back yard critters
« Reply #30 on: 15.10. 2014 08:51 »
Eastern brown inhabit the coastal region where all the idiots live who see one then go chasing it with a shovel or axe.
they miss the snake which runs strait up the axe/ shovel handle and bites them deeply on the hand / wrist and being now in a defensive mode whip in a full load of poison which will be fatal in an hour if you sit quietly and write your will. Run around like a headless chook and you canbe gone in as little as 10 minutes.

Chilling!  :-\

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #31 on: 16.10. 2014 05:16 »
I thought it was about time one of us "Aussies" came clean and explained that all these dangerous creatures are not really all that bad. We wouldnt want you thinking you couldnt come to Australia for a holiday without being bitten or worse.

Drop bears are not that bad providing you dont go near any trees, so just stay away from trees and you should be ok.

Snakes, well there are 23 million of us over here so I guess we can afford to let that number drop a little.

Spiders, well yes there are some deadly ones but if you dont let them bite you all will be well.

Sharks, lots of them so best not to go swimming even if we do have lots of nice beaches and a warm climate. The good news though is you can go swimming in rivers, I'm sure there are no sharks in the rivers, the crocodiles would have eaten them all by now.

So you see its not really all that bad over here....................................................

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 16.10. 2014 08:20 »
I thought it was about time one of us "Aussies" came clean and explained that all these dangerous creatures are not really all that bad. We wouldnt want you thinking you couldnt come to Australia for a holiday without being bitten or worse.

Drop bears are not that bad providing you dont go near any trees, so just stay away from trees and you should be ok.

Snakes, well there are 23 million of us over here so I guess we can afford to let that number drop a little.

Spiders, well yes there are some deadly ones but if you dont let them bite you all will be well.

Sharks, lots of them so best not to go swimming even if we do have lots of nice beaches and a warm climate. The good news though is you can go swimming in rivers, I'm sure there are no sharks in the rivers, the crocodiles would have eaten them all by now.

So you see its not really all that bad over here....................................................

My daughter & her husband will be moving to Perth in about a year; my wife and I will be visiting them so thanks Brian, you've reassured me that there is really nothing much to worry about.  :!

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 16.10. 2014 09:01 »

Richard can fill you in on the Sandgropers Graybeard.... *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #34 on: 16.10. 2014 10:33 »
Yes its best if Richard gives you some information, I mean its only fair that you know before you go there.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #35 on: 16.10. 2014 11:08 »
Sorry I asked now !! going worse than an oil post ,oh s*** I've mentioned the "o" word Bob  *doh*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 16.10. 2014 12:33 »
20 of the top 25 most venomous snakes in the world are Aussie..   *eek*
http://www.avru.org/general/general_mostvenom.html

Hmmm. Somehow, I didn't see any of those during the six weeks I spent in Sydney in 1976.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #37 on: 16.10. 2014 13:00 »
maybe not... BUT did they see YOU?   >:D
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #38 on: 16.10. 2014 20:13 »
I grew up in Sydney at Heathcote, my back yard was The Royal National Park. Got quite used to seeing blacks, redbelly's and death adders, but the one I most remember was stepping over a sun baking coiled up brown on the way to skool  *eek*. What steps did I take? Bl@@dy big ones.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #39 on: 16.10. 2014 21:42 »
Richard, even snakes wouldn't live in Sydney!    *fight*

Offline tomtit

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #40 on: 20.10. 2014 12:56 »
True Trev, been living in Sydney 26 years never saw a snake...well only two legged ones but drop bears that's a different story.
1950 A10 Golden Flash.
03 Yamaha V Star 1100.

Australia

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #41 on: 20.10. 2014 15:30 »
Well, I suppose those times when I was not at the Hilton lent some possibilty of defying death from snakebite. Maybe the time spent in Kings Cross (the implications may have been different in '76).

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: 20.10. 2014 17:03 »
death from snakebite
I think I tried that a time or two - Cider and Guinness was it - or was that something else
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #43 on: 20.10. 2014 19:45 »
Isn't a snakebite beer with a dash of raspberry?
I ran over a redbelly, it flicked up and bit the seat 2" below my thigh. Fang holes in the seat.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #44 on: 20.10. 2014 20:08 »
Fang holes in the seat.
Yikes!   *countdown*