Author Topic: Diversity?  (Read 358 times)

Online terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
Diversity?
« on: 15.10. 2014 08:04 »
Good Morning All - well it's morning here, anyway.

Just a thought on diversity... Do we have any members from the the fair sex on the forum?

I was going to say 'from the other persuasion' but that could have been confused with Triumph owners, I imagine.

In our household the interest is strictly limited to the males.  Mrs is very tolerant but (although a pillion passenger long ago) not the least bit interested in motorcycles.  I know others have spouses who take an active interest but I don't recall seeing forum activity from that quarter.

Not a big issue, just curious.

On some forums, where the topic and level of interest verges on the threshold of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, I believe they have special access/threads for partners to share their concerns and frustrations.  We do not seem to have such a need here - yet.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Re: Diversity?
« Reply #1 on: 15.10. 2014 13:31 »
My wife does not ride pillion with me, and never has done, but luckily she is very supportive about my motorcycle addiction. I never get any grief from her about the amount of time I spend playing with them, and neither do I have to hide any new acquisitions from her. She also, enjoys going to motorcycle shows.
John

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 15.10. 2014 14:05 »
Mrs B has a license. She learnt on a Bantam that I sorted out for, her though took her test on my James Commodore. I subsequently assembled a last of the line Daytona 500 for her from a blown up wreck. She is quite petite though so always struggled to start it. She did run my Veefer for a while and in fact wrote it off against the side of a Rover heading out to Aber Uni on one occasion.

From all of which she has a distinct aversion to kick starting anything and does not ride. I lure her out on the Flapper Bracket from time to time, and as you can tell from my signature line is very understanding about my tendency to collect these things.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Bikergrandad

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 15.10. 2014 18:45 »
 Hi to all.
  My wife is very supportive with my bikes, she will even buy me one.
   But I will be out of the way from her when I am in the garage working on them.
    But when I say come and have a look at what I have done she will say,
    MMM,YES, OK, MMM like a cup of tea. Bob.

Too Old To Die Young.
      Eastleigh  Hampshire.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 15.10. 2014 23:18 »
We have had a few ladies on the forum over the years. Don't hear from them much.
Yep, mine is very supportive. Used to ride pillion with me everywhere (our honeymoon was a 2 week trip on the "51) but sadly can't throw a leg anymore. She grew up with 3 older brothers all had bikes so is well versed with mechanics and the biker way of life. No probs with time in shed, she knows where I am and not prowling around bars and "night" clubs.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline madsens

• A's Best Friend
  • 1962 A10 GF - Fyn, Denmark
« Reply #5 on: 16.10. 2014 14:22 »
Well - same type story from me

Started biking on a MZ sport 250 in 1973 - and did meet my wife to be in '78, so she did her pillion duty on the trusty MZ. Then came kids and cars, and after a looong time I started mumbling about having a motorcycle again... she must have gotten feed up with this, as she was the one finding my 1962 A-10 (owned by a work mate!

She has no wish doing any pillion duty anymore, tried it once and after that leaves it all to me, giving me quite a wide berth,letting me go to bike meetings, rallies and so on, and spend time in the sheed.
regards
Joergen
BSA A10GF 1962
Denmark

Online terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #6 on: 16.10. 2014 21:11 »
Hello Madsens - your story sounds a lot like mine.  Met the wife in '76 and she did her pillion duty on the BSA Lightning for a couple of years.  In that time she was content (not happy!) to ride in all weathers.  Her solution to protecting a rather nice pair of gloves was to wear bright yellow rubber (Marigold) kitchen gloves over the top.  Quirky but very effective.

Thanks all for the replies.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS