Author Topic: Gearbox woes  (Read 3362 times)

Richard

Re: Gearbox woes
« Reply #15 on: 03.03. 2009 21:58 »
Bill
Looking at your photo the thread damage does not look to severe also looking at the unafected thread area I would say, espeacially after running a tap through, that you would not have a problem if the plunger was screwed in and locked up tight, as the area of good thread looks to be sufficient.
If it was my gearbox I would refit it and ride it after all if the problem comes up again then that would be the time to change the housing.
I would not bother making a bracket to support it as if it holds when the locknut is done up then it is unlikley to shift
I am not qualified to give an experts opinion but this is my own
Regards
Richard

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #16 on: 04.03. 2009 13:48 »
If you have to put a thread insert in there, go for a solid one rather than a heli-coil or re-coil or any other one that uses a "spring" as these are not necessarily oil tight and prone to leak.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 04.03. 2009 17:16 »
Thanks Richard and all
Your mails arrived after I had made the decision to change the case, I arrived at this after trying the plunger in both cases, when screwed in fully it was noticably slacker in the original case.
So it was just a case of swapping the large bearing from the original case to the spare one as the blind bush in the spare case was every bit as good a fit as the new one I had fitted in the original case.

So thanks again to all who responded - I'm a litle bit nearer that first ride.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco