Author Topic: battery  (Read 3911 times)

Offline derek taylor

• A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
battery
« on: 24.10. 2014 20:09 »
after a new battery for my golden flash 12v any ideas good/bad ect ?

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: battery
« Reply #1 on: 24.10. 2014 20:34 »
See if you can find an AGM (type, not brand) absorbed glass mat, battery to fit. Hold a charge much longer and a lot harder to cook. They don't leak and can be used upside down, on their side. The one I use even has + & - poles on both sides of the battery.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 24.10. 2014 21:00 »
I agree with Musky, I bought three of the Cyclon type (Burlen type)  two for the 12 volt RGF and the other for the 6 volt Flash, the thinking being I could mix and match if required.
Not the cheapest but I've had enough of cheap batteries that suddenly just die for the fun of it
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 24.10. 2014 21:16 »
Ditto musky and bill

I run 2 cyclons in parallel in a dummy case

Other than a trickle charge over winter they're maintenance free  ;)

S

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #4 on: 24.10. 2014 22:28 »
Have a look at Paul Goff's website. He lists both.
I am using the 5 AH westco AGM. Very good battery.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline derek taylor

• A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #5 on: 25.10. 2014 08:05 »
cheers all taken on board  *smile*

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #6 on: 25.10. 2014 14:50 »
I run 2 cyclons in parallel in a dummy case Other than a trickle charge over winter they're maintenance free
Cyclons are what I have had on my bike for the last 5 years. I do not even bother with a trickle charge. I just remove the fuse from the bike and leave the batteries in situ on the bike. Saves all the trouble of removing the seat, and having to fiddle about trying to line up all the bits and pieces of the battery carrier clamp when I want to ride the bike after the winter lay up. So far they have held their charge over winter. More or less a fit and forget item. What they will not like is to be fully discharged. That probably will be terminal. In fact Paul Goff does mention that fact on his website. This what Goffy actually says
These batteries are designed for long term use and can easily last 8/10 years, and they can be left for long periods without charging. The batteries are supplied charged, no further charging before use is required. These batteries should last many months without charging as long as they are fully charged when left. Use only an automatic Optimate type 'Maintenance charger' to charge Cyclons to prevent overcharging. Completely discharging by 'leaving the lights on' will invalidate the warranty.
So, there you have it. Buy and fit with complete confidence.
John

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
« Reply #7 on: 25.10. 2014 21:42 »
Right on with the 2 Cyclon batteries, I am just wondering if anyone knows of 2 batteries in the US that will work as well ????  Most shippers will no longer except batteries for shipping, too corrosive or sumpin.  I read some where that you go to Wall Mart and buy the KIDDEE CAR 6 volt battery right off of the shelf, they are supposed to be bullet proof..  They are designed to hold their charge for a long time, so kids can ride them around all day long, with no charging capabilities, they must be tough !!
    Anyone out there know where I can get a complete Rocket Gold Star battery tray, all the straps, all of the bolts, including the 3 or 4 mounting ones (all in the correct threads)  I have nothing except the mounting location brackets that are part of the frame..  Would Draganfly or Lightning Spares have one complete ??
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Online scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 25.10. 2014 23:48 »
Bill

If you are in the Seattle area:

Batteries and Bulbs in Everett should carry the Cyclon AGM 6v or can get them in.

They may even have an outlet closer to wherever you are

HTH

Scotty

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #9 on: 26.10. 2014 06:58 »
At the Kempton autojumble yesterday George Prew had a remanufactured battery tray in his stock. I wasn't looking for the other parts but it's worth trying him
There are probably other suppliers but I just happened to notice that.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline sckemp

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 26.10. 2014 08:42 »
Another vote for AGM batteries. I have one on my Honda. When I was commuting year round it never failed to crank the bike over quickly even when it was really cold. Now I don't use that bike much it can be 6 months between starts. The battery just sits there ready for action and when I press the starter button, it always does the business. No charging, no care, no fuss.

Needless to say, I will be getting an AGM battery for my 6V A10 (probably from Paul Goff).

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 26.10. 2014 09:47 »
MOTOBATT do AGM batteries at a good price,(ebay) just need to sort out the size that will fit. Their web site gives all the sizes. http://www.motobatt.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59  If not using a replica case you can always give them a quick spray with black paint. Hawker do their Odyssey AGM range, good but they are expensive.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #12 on: 26.10. 2014 12:37 »
That's the name I've been trying to remember. Motobatt. Started the fire breathing CB1100 today, 1st time in 4 months, 2nd hit of the button. The 1st hit was "you want me to do what!!!", 2nd was "Oh, OK".
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 26.10. 2014 13:20 »
Hi All,
Would Draganfly or Lightning Spares have one complete ??

Lightning spares are very knowledgeable and great quality SS items  *smile* *smile* *smile*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
« Reply #14 on: 26.10. 2014 19:16 »
Mostly for John > AKA  a101960 :
   When you pull the fuse for the winter time shutdown, (how long a time are we talking about)  do you have to flash the field when  the fuse is re-Installed, so the regulator and the Dyno are  on the same page, or polarity as it were ??  My battery is disconnected and brought in the much warmer house during my 6 months of winter, and put on a half amp mini charger as that is needed.  The battery is a single 6N63B1, which is a 6 amp hour small battery made by Grand Sport which is now 7 years old, and still working, but is starting to draw down from full charge faster than normal, so it is time.  I would not even need a battery except my RB-108 crapped out on me I and replaced it with a DVR-2 from Mike Hutchings at Dynamore Regulators.  Pretty sure you can not run without a battery when using his solid state regulator ??  If anyone knows different that would be helpful. I Have a  rebuilt  K2F maggy. which is a one kick starter, even with the plugs gapped at .035, that is if I do not forget and screw up the cold starting procedure.

BILL
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !