Author Topic: battery  (Read 3922 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: battery
« Reply #30 on: 13.12. 2014 10:47 »

Don't take me wrong Johnny, not having a go at yea, been punching  buttons for a while, and a bit over it, but I have to say I've experienced a few battos that've been down to small volts, and come good with a 'kick'...not to say it's in their favour, but they hang in there.......!!!
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
« Reply #31 on: 13.12. 2014 11:15 »

Good and well, but did Gel/AGM exist when 'Our' bikes were modern......? Not disputing what you say, just sayin'....

No of course they didn't have those types back then, they had to live with what was available, if you take care of a wet battery and check the voltage and top the charge up regularly it can last for a long time. It's when the voltage goes down that this type of battery takes more punish.
Because of the thinner lead plates they also normally have a shorter life span.
   Gothenburg, Sweden

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
« Reply #32 on: 13.12. 2014 11:26 »

Don't take me wrong Johnny, not having a go at yea, been punching  buttons for a while, and a bit over it, but I have to say I've experienced a few battos that've been down to small volts, and come good with a 'kick'...not to say it's in their favour, but they hang in there.......!!!

Well, if you grab it when there still is some lead left you can sometimes charge it up to the right Voltage and it will stay there.
The capacity might have taken a serious beating though.

When I think about it there is actually more things that happens to a over discharged lead-acid battery, there are build-ups of oxide or sulphate on the lead plates that stops the travel of the electrons...wherever they are going...
   Gothenburg, Sweden

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 13.12. 2014 11:48 »
For our bikes, "wet" are no good, they are constructed for short bursts of high Amperage, like a starter motor

Was there much else about when our bikes were  new and legs were the norm for starting?
Yes I get the short burst high amp bit however I think it's more the case that batteries used to be more reliably built as far percentage of individual battery failures goes but over all decent batteries last much longer now, thinking of my 6 year old Focus still on original battery whereas in the sixties I seem to recall fitting a new battery was a regular thing every couple of years.
First house I remember living in (up to 7 years old) had no electricity, Dad built a "Wireless" housed in a wood vegetable box, it ran on two glass Accumulators (remember them) used them until they where flat then took them into Dumfries to get swapped with charged ones
Later in life during the cold war years I was a volunteer with the Royal Observer Corps, we had underground observation posts lit by NiFe batteries (Nickel Ferrous), these held the full charge for longer periods then went down fast.
So the technology may have changed and left out on a limb a bit
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
« Reply #34 on: 13.12. 2014 16:18 »
I should start by saying that English it not my first language...I should have said "not as good" instead of "no good" :-)

Glass Accumulators I have actually never heard of, wonder which chemistry they use?
NiFe I have heard about, If I remember the facts right they are very heavy and are still used today in solar plants for power backup.

What I use in my electric vechicles is LiFePo4, a type of Lithium-Ion battery, about half the weight and more than double the energy content compared to a Lead-Acid battery of the same physical size.
Have thought about using these in my BSA, but they are quite expensive and very sensitive to overcharge and over discharge.
Must have electronics that keep them (warnings at low and shunting at high) between 2.5 and 3.8V/cell at all times.

Sorry if I get a bit technical, batteries is another hobby of mine. ;-)
   Gothenburg, Sweden

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 13.12. 2014 17:10 »
this will be of interest to you then Johnny
http://www.museumoftechnology.org.uk/expand.php?key=191
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 13.12. 2014 21:34 »

Johnny, I'll keep in mind that Ingleesh is not your native tongue, I hadn't noticed- although I have noted that most people who speak it a a second lingo, are usually better at it than the rest of us.....self included

I was speaking with a solar guy yesterday about many things, one being batteries, and I'm sure he mentioned the Nickle-Iron something...I don't think I'd heard of them before, and he did show me some lithium ones...

I'd like to use a good quality battery, just need to track one down, but reluctant to do that until I'm certain my charge system is ok, maybe upset the neighbours today *smile* if I drag myself away from here...- many things to tend to and work has been interfering with my life..... *conf*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #37 on: 21.02. 2015 00:59 »

this will be of interest to you then Johnny
http://www.museumoftechnology.org.uk/expand.php?key=191

Had a look at this, but still doesn't explain- will research further, but it did remind me of this...

http://www.last.fm/music/Hawkwind/_/Orgone+Accumulator
Australia

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #38 on: 22.02. 2015 22:09 »
Had a look at this, but still doesn't explain- will research further, but it did remind me of this...

http://www.last.fm/music/Hawkwind/_/Orgone+Accumulator

Looking for answers in Hawkwind songs is no good sign duTch. Unless you suspect someone's put something in your drink wile you weren't looking...  :o
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #39 on: 22.02. 2015 22:23 »
Whoa there this is weird, I just finished watching a thing on BBC Iplayer about Marshall amps, Lemmy featured a few times

go here if your interested http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04c3l7j/play-it-loud-the-story-of-the-marshall-amp
All the best - Bill

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #40 on: 23.02. 2015 14:59 »
Now that is a cracking song. One long bass solo really. Would that have been Lemmy?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #41 on: 23.02. 2015 15:15 »
if the photo goes with the track - yep
Hawkwind got through a lot of folks, Lemmy got chucked out for drug abuse it's said (that's was quite an achievement in that band)
All the best - Bill

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: 23.02. 2015 17:31 »

Unless you suspect someone's put something in your drink wile you weren't looking...  :o
No way- silly enough already- and drinks are for washing things down(double dip maybe?), people pay big money to be like me *smile*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBFdvcF7auY

That's funny B-Bill maybe somethings watching you- what's that over your left shoulder.. *????*

Anyway this is a battery story, I figured an accumulator may be some kind of capacitor, and it kind of can be;-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accumulator_%28energy%29

But it sounds what Bill has in mind is just a fancy name for portable battery ?
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #43 on: 23.02. 2015 18:21 »
But it sounds what Bill has in mind is just a fancy name for portable battery ?

Exactly and basically the same as a lead acid battery in a glass case, car batteries possibly morphed from accumulators  to an accumulator in the familiar Bakeliteish or whatever it is 
case, glass being too fragile for the task
All the best - Bill

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #44 on: 23.02. 2015 18:51 »

familiar Bakeliteish or whatever it is 
I've heard it referred to as 'rubber cases', even the guy at the battery shop yesterday said it I think- probably a rubber compound?? Bakelite might be a bit brittle. I guess a few of the other guys'll know..??
Australia