Author Topic: Oily right hand exhaust  (Read 1900 times)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Oily right hand exhaust
« Reply #15 on: 21.04. 2015 16:15 »
It's a small thread-on automotive filter. Oil return has been strong. Now that I think about it, the filter precedes the flow to the rockers, so, if anything, there would be less oil getting there (not considering SRM pump). If it were indeed the pump, it's hard to imagine that the rocker box is getting so full as to overflow the tops of the guides. All this said (probably needlessly), if oil was entering the exhaust port only via the guides, I don't think the plugs would be so sooty and, in the case of the right side, wet.

OK, I really should get to work.

Richard L.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #16 on: 21.04. 2015 17:29 »
Richard, How does the engine sound when running? I ask this because I had an almost identical problem. The fault in my case was a loose valve guide. The symptoms that I had, was that once the engine had got nice and warm I could hear what I thought was a tappet rattling. The rattle was not audible until the engine reached working temperature. I checked the valve clearences several times with no effect. On removing the head the problem was masked by the fact that the guide was held firmly in place when the head casting was cold. Once a bit of heat was applied the guide dropped straight out! With regard to the sooty plugs I also had this problem. Eventually I removed the carb stripped it down and cleaned all the passages and jets first with brake cleaner, followed by cellulose thinner, and then I gave it a couple of long sessions in my ultra sonic cleaner. The plugs are no longer sooty. By the way, my ultra sonic cleaner is nothing special, it is just a small cheap super market cleaner but it did the job just fine. I used a 50/50 mixture of distilled water and industrial alcohol. I was truley amazed at just how much muck there was on what superficially looked a nice clean carb.
John

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 21.04. 2015 22:48 »
John,

Sounds very plausible, but it seems to me that I was getting oil at the exhaust before well heated and I can't recall a distinct change in clatter. I will clean her up then take her out with those things in mind (then I'll work on the A10).

Richard L.

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #18 on: 22.04. 2015 00:36 »
Rings.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 22.04. 2015 01:23 »
Maybe. Maybe. I just got back from a short ride with no apparent blowing of oil. I'm not getting too enthusiastic yet, but maybe it just needed time for the rings to bed in (as Muskrat was getting at). My fingers are crossed, and I ain't superstitious. Wilko, I appreciate your comment, because it does give me extra hope that it's just a case of new rings needing to get used to their new home.
]
Richard L.

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 23.04. 2015 01:13 »
I wasn't giving you hope. If it smokes from the start no amount of running in will stop it. Off with the head and barrels to investigate.

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 23.04. 2015 01:26 »
I say valve guide I had exactly the same about a year ago new guides cured it

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
« Reply #22 on: 23.04. 2015 02:25 »
  I am with BikerBoy and Musky, if the rings are properly bedded down and you only have one oily pipe, the culprit is the sloppy valve guide, or a loose guide when up to operating temperature.  That plug should also foul easily, or should be way more sooty then the other plug in the clean pipe side.  I have the exact same problem with my 62 RGS,  and to test that, hold your finger over the oil pipe return hole in the oil tank, when bike is all up to temp, and force more oil up to rockers at say 1200 rpm, for 30 or 40 seconds, and if the right pipe sends a little smoke out, you have guide problems.
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !