Author Topic: Stamp on gearbox  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Metty66

• Moving Up
Stamp on gearbox
« on: 28.10. 2014 22:23 »
Hi All have picked up a gearbox from Stafford last week and it has MDW5 stamped on it where it usually says std. Anyone know what the relevance is? And whether its either the holy grail of boxes or just someone got a set of stamps for xmas one year!! Thanks for any help. Ian. Cant post a pic as the file is too large. Cheers.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Stamp on gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 28.10. 2014 23:30 »
 MDW5- ' My Darling Wife #5 '......otherwise.. *dunno*

I daresay you'll have a look inside before you try and use it, so maybe that'll give some clues...??? probably as you say someone found some stamps, but this topic's been flogged before with different letters, and the most likely idea is the initials of someone who has attacked before
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 29.10. 2014 01:25 »
...and I would dare say it was the 5th gearbox Mr. W. worked on.

If you are just looking to know what gears are in it you could turn it by hand, count the output revolutions and do the math. Still, a look inside tells you if it's going to make it around the block.

Richard L.

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 29.10. 2014 10:35 »
I'd open it up...you never know it might be a 5 speed...though I've never heard of MDW....

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 29.10. 2014 19:25 »
HI Metty,
Either use photo editor, click "file save as" then click the "more" tab it opens a sliding scale to reduce photo size
and save photo with an added letter or number to id it,
If you are using a smart phone email the photo to yourself, doing this opens an option to reduce image size

Im sure all here will be interested to see the stampings and innards

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Metty66

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 02.11. 2014 08:19 »
Thanks John will have a go later. Just stripping the box down it says in the haynes manual take final drive sprocket off and the idler gear will just tap through with a soft faced mallet more like a 7lb sledgy!! Think i will press out at work. Generally looks in good nick tho.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 02.11. 2014 11:50 »
  In addition to the two boxes mentioned in the 'layshaft end float', I scored an ok empty case, except for the sleeve gear still intact- rubber mallet- no way....heat on the bearing inner+sprocket nut for protection and soft thing and a drift with a 10 pounder- no way...

Had to run a length of 12mm booker-rod (threaded rod) through with plates and packers to support the sh, and after a great deal of effort, it cracked- though I'd busted something but was ok seems they sometime have a raised bit around the ends of the spline that make the gear tight in the bearing

This is not really stamp related, but it is to Mettys story- probably need a different topic for it
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Metty66

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 13.04. 2015 22:57 »
Thanks for the tip Dutch, just seen as I've been busy on my aj clutch over the winter. Still messing with the clutch on the a10 as well. Does anyone make an auto!!!???  *sad2*