Author Topic: A penetrating review  (Read 1540 times)

Offline olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Valued Contributor
A penetrating review
« on: 02.11. 2014 05:26 »
This was recently printed in our club mag. I think the original test comes from the UK.
Its a test of penetrating oils. I only know of WD-40.
The list shows the oils and torque needed to loosen a "scientifically rusted nut"
The ATF/Acetone is a homemade 50/50 mix of automatic transmission oil and acetone.

No Oil..........................516 lbs
WD-40........................238 lbs
PB Blaster...................214 lbs
Liquid Wrench.............127 lbs
Kano Kroil...................106 lbs
ATF/Acetone...............53 lbs

If there is anyone out there with rusted nuts perhaps they can let us know if the acetone mix is better than a cold chisel and lump hammer??
cheers

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: A penetrating review
« Reply #1 on: 02.11. 2014 07:34 »
I know which one I'd rather touching my nuts  *eek*. I use kero.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 02.11. 2014 11:58 »

I read about that mix just a couple of days ago can't remember where already...reckon I'll have plenty chance to try it
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 02.11. 2014 14:51 »
I would say Liquid Wrench is consdered the standard commercial penetrating oil for breaking rusted threads here in the  U.S. I use WD-40 as a thin penetrating lubricant (for example, door hinges), not as a rust penetrator.

I suppose the torque values are in inch-lbs. Otherwise, the thread diameter must be really big (2", or so?) not to be sheared off at 516 ft-lb. Doesn't really matter for the comparitive data, I guess.

I'll be picking up some acetone next time I'm at the hardware store.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 02.11. 2014 16:35 »
I'll be picking up some acetone next time I'm at the hardware store.

I was going to winge that I probably wouldn't find acetone in any hardware stores in the UK; but then I remembered that nail polish remover is basically acetone.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline unclerob

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #6 on: 02.11. 2014 17:39 »
You can buy acetone from any fibreglass supplier....price usually around £5 per 5 litre....wonderful stuff!

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Best Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
« Reply #7 on: 02.11. 2014 19:12 »
Fellas, remember one simple thing, the molecules in the penetrant have to be smaller than the molecules of the subject you are trying to penetrate.  This is why hammer tapping, and heat make them work better, makes the penetrant want to get in to where it needs to be, hammer helps break it loose from what is holding it stuck, and heat, if applied properly, makes the penetrant want to travel into where it needs to be.  Sometimes all of these things in combination work better if you try to tighten the object more first, then try loosening.  You can go back and forth alternating tighter, looser, tighter, looser, etc.  Then there  are those Items that just say no to all of the above, and just break off !!!! BUMMER        *problem*           *pull hair out* 

I have had the best luck with a 50/50 mix of acetone (the real finger nail polish remover) and ATF //  and acetone  and Marvel Mystery Oil  >>  AKA  (wintergreen oil-the Military's choice for penetrant) that is what gives MMO it's unique smell, plus a light machine oil also. 
                         All of this just food for thought to reflect on.

PS: For you guys that still think that WD-40 is the end all, be all, think about this, the US Military developed it as WATER DISPERSANT ONLY, hence the WD in the name, it is a terrible lubricant because it is water soluble, and sucks at penetrating in to closed off corroded areas, it lays there and does absolutely nothing...  If you have a distributer cap full of moisture from sitting idle for months, or more, it works excellent.  Most of you are probably not old enough to know what a distributor cap is, unless you collect old cars also.
  If you have wet electrical connectors WD-40 is great also.  They are usually too small to get in to and wipe them dry.  Compressed air works good for this also, after the WD to absorb the moisture.  GET RID OF WD as a lubricant, and a penetrant !!!!

The maker just sold everybody a bill of goods about how wonderful it is !!!!  And we bought it hook, line, and SINKER !!!!

Remember it is water soluble, now how good can that be in a wet damp rainy climate ??
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #8 on: 02.11. 2014 21:17 »
But whatever you do, DON'T USE HEAT AFTER THE ACETONE...!!! :o *smile*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 03.11. 2014 00:39 »
WD40 is 10% sae mineraloil and 90% parrafin.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 03.11. 2014 02:06 »
I think the job of the acetone is to transport the ATF chemistry into the rust/corrosion lattice. The acetone is not there in volume and it is so volitlle that it is likely to be evaporated by the time you could get heat on it. Nevertheless, an abundance of caution is still advisable. (For full disclosure, as if it's not obvious, I'm an AV guy, not a chemical engineer.)

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 03.11. 2014 08:32 »
I'm an AV guy...
Meaning Audio Visual?

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 03.11. 2014 12:16 »

Offline Gavin

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #13 on: 04.11. 2014 14:38 »
I reckon this is what this site was set up to achieve:

Been trying for weeks now to get a very stubborn large pillion footrest nut off an old frame to use on a rebuild. Can't locate one on the market to replace it, so i toiled away, heat, longer bar, rounded the nut and so on....

Read this thread... 2 day treatment of ATF and acetone.... plus an F clamp to keep the spanner on the nut... and it nearly walked off by itself... amazing.

Thanks again for the site, thanks for the thread, no pun intended.

Once again you guys have all helped in the rebuild of another A10.

Gavin.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 04.11. 2014 16:47 »
Snooping under your bench, it seems you have a handy-dandy head-gasket annealer mounted atop a propane bottle.

Richard L.