Author Topic: what spares do you recommend keeping?  (Read 593 times)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
what spares do you recommend keeping?
« on: 13.11. 2014 20:28 »
So, I'm finally working on my RGS Spitfire, and I've got a ton (or so it seems) of extra parts. I'm thinking I can sell some of the excess to finance the build. What I'm wondering is what you more experienced A10 jockeys recommend I hang onto as spares. I've got probably a half dozen magnetos, a couple non-RGS swingarms, a couple steering stems/clamps, STD and SC transmissions, at least 1/2 dozen cylinder blocks/heads, 4 extra crankshafts, multiple connecting rod sets, haven't counted heads, cams. I have the engine (no numbers) that was in the bike when the previous owner rescued it from a salvage yard (20+ years ago) as well as another apparently complete (also not numbered) engine. I plan to keep both engines, at least until one is up and running well, and one each SC and STD transmission. What else should I keep for possible future use?

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: what spares do you recommend keeping?
« Reply #1 on: 13.11. 2014 21:49 »
Hiya,
My couple of cents worth  *ex*

I've got probably a half dozen magnetos
One manual advance one for the bike and one spare ?? sell the rest

a couple non-RGS swingarms,
Sell !!

a couple steering stems/clamps
Depending what type these are?? RGS and Gold star do not have a steering lock hole
and are worth quite a few $'s
The stems can be found to be worn where the top bearing sits,  so make sure you keep a good one!!

STD and SC transmissions
SC's worth Gold !!! STD's are rising in value every day

at least 1/2 dozen cylinder blocks/heads, 4 extra crankshafts
Alloy Heads are always worth money,
cylinder values depends on bore and flange thickness but are always in demand
same goes for crankshafts, depends on undersizes left and drive side spline condition

Other bits are worth whatever Ebay bidders will go to ??? but do not list all the parts in one go  ;)

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 14.11. 2014 07:17 »
Bugga, John. I was going to offer postage to take them off his hands  >:D
I think I'd rather sell the kids and keep the lot. *smile*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 14.11. 2014 17:46 »
Hi Muskie,
LOL *smile* *smile* *smile*
It would take several lifetimes to wear out all those parts ?????

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #4 on: 14.11. 2014 19:53 »
Its so easy to fill up your shed with spares that "will come in handy oneday".

The reality is unless you intend building a fleet of A10's you will probably never need any of it. I had a real hard look at my stuff a couple of years ago and sold about 90% of my spares, some of which had been sitting in my various sheds for 30 years or more. I like to think they helped others get their bikes on the road.

I would suggest you pick the best of what you have and keep one of eveything for now and sell the rest. When you have finished your bike and ridden it for a year or so then have a re think about the rest of it.

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 15.11. 2014 01:24 »
Thanks guys. I was thinking there may be exceptionally weak points that may be worth planning ahead for failure (wow, does that sentence make sense? I'm on my second shot of Maker's Mark). I used to have a shed and attic full of Triumph parts, a few got used. Had a Norton parts bike (used the primary drive after a final drive chain broke at 80 mph). Still have a bunch of SR500 Yamaha parts. I've used a few, but probably not enough to justify the room they take up. Guess I'll start getting rid of stuff.