Author Topic: That's shallot  (Read 495 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
That's shallot
« on: 06.11. 2014 20:14 »
Due to a forecast of frost overnight the roads here were salted/gritted last night. I'm not taking my BSA out if there is salt on the roads so unless the weather warms up and rain cleans the roads I may not be riding until next spring.  *sad2*

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: That's shallot
« Reply #1 on: 06.11. 2014 20:18 »
No salt up this end of the country but an awful lot of water.
They keep the salt until March in case we get a bad winter *smile*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 07.11. 2014 11:02 »
Thought I 'd keep the bike  ready for a last ride this weekend but doesn't look good ,rain all w'end so will break out the covers and tuck her up nice and snug for hibernation til spring . Got a few jobs planned as well . stopgap gearbox to be changed done a good job but noisy in 3rd , and want to get the top end oil tight plus a few oil leaks as well should keep me busy , Bobh.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 07.11. 2014 13:28 »
I was out on the Veefer Wednesday night - 120 mile round trip to Sunbeam Club (yeah, well I don't actually have a Sunbeam). Gritters were out all over in Essex and Kent - so instead of a nice dry road I had a horrible slick one. And more rot under the bike no doubt. The levels of uselessness we now have to allow for in the motoring public winds me up.

And I got a puncture in the rear on the way home (probly not connected).
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 07.11. 2014 13:47 »
...And I got a puncture in the rear on the way home...
*sad2*

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 07.11. 2014 19:01 »
I sort of feel sorry for you lot. I couldn't live where I couldn't ride all year long. Salt is just for fish'n'chips.
cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline 0116harley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 08.11. 2014 13:28 »
Hi everyone yep that time of year here in the UK when the old beezas put into hibernation over winter. Must admit its the first summer I've not had to get the spanners out for anything ( ran like a dream). Anyway just wondering what you guys do when storing your bikes over winter. I normally drain all petrol out the tank an carb and give the shiny bits a spray over with light oil. One thing I'm never sure of is whether to drain all engine oil out the tank an sump
cheers Neil

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 08.11. 2014 14:34 »
...just wondering what you guys do when storing your bikes over winter...
I have a new dry shed so I don't intend to take protective measures for my bike except put the cover over her. This will give me the chance to fire her up periodically, or take her out for a wintery spin, (if the salt is long gone). If it seems to be getting damp in my man-cave I may turn on a small tubular heater under the machine.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 08.11. 2014 19:06 »
The bikes I care about and that cost money in road tax I SORN for the winter months. They get scrubbed up and thoroughly dried and then wiped over with WD40 (and I know there is a discussion elsewhere on this). and then placed under covers in the back of the carport where it is nice and airy. The only other concession I make to storage is trickle charging the batteries from time to time.
Stuff that has free tax (e.g. A10) is also kept in the dry and may come out if it is dry and not in any way salty out there.
Unless you are fastidious with your cleaning I don't think you want to be riding your pride and joy routinely through the winter months here in the UK. That is what Hondas are for after all.
Really it is a time for retiring to garages, and there to dream and smoke. Working up the next project for a new season.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza