Author Topic: Lockable fuel taps?  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Lockable fuel taps?
« on: 20.11. 2014 05:59 »
I saw this fitted to that lime green A10; http://goo.gl/zjUJt3. Any thoughts on whether they are worth having?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: Lockable fuel taps?
« Reply #1 on: 20.11. 2014 11:22 »
Interesting idea and one voiced before  I think. I've never seen these before so I'll await an update of who sells em and at what cost etc, good eyes GB, regards Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 20.11. 2014 12:07 »
Interesting idea and one voiced before  I think. I've never seen these before so I'll await an update of who sells em and at what cost etc, good eyes GB, regards Bob.

That link goes to a seller on Ebay.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 20.11. 2014 18:23 »
Anglo - Indian A7SS (Actually is a 650)
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 20.11. 2014 19:43 »
I would imagine fuel thieves would be in a hurry and just remove the filler cap or remove the tap out of the tank. *whistle* DAMHIK.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
« Reply #5 on: 20.11. 2014 20:19 »
Musky, might not discourage a real determined fuel thief, but would sure discourage trying to steal the bike, because they could only get as far as what fuel was left in the float bowl.  It could even be a real tough time starting the bike, because the carby tickler also would not work.   Not to mention the fact, that if he is not over 50 PLUS years of age, they would not know how to start one of these any way, especially with a hidden mag kill switch ! ! ! !

Just some thoughts to ponder on . Your thoughts ? ?

BILL
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 20.11. 2014 21:54 »
HI Guys,
I also noticed a front brake light switch incorporated  into the cable on  that bike  *bright idea*
Either one from a later 60's BSA or a new one from Venhill ???
http://www.venhill.co.uk/Home/Search_Results.html?searchterm=brake+switch

John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #7 on: 26.11. 2014 00:12 »
I once had my commuter bikes front brake master cylinder nicked, they removed two allen bolts and chopped my hydraulic brake line and took the whole brake lever assembly, all from a public carpark in broad daylight, probably took just a minute or two. And left my bike disabled and a bugger to get home. *angry*
When I think about that; to remove a swing arm a10 tank is the centre bolt and remove the tank strap (two nuts) then chop the lines and far more than some gas has gone walkies. So I can't say locking the taps is high on my worries list.

A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 26.11. 2014 04:24 »
Locks of any type are only to keep honest people out/off/away.
RR, at least you still had the bike.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #9 on: 26.11. 2014 04:37 »
Muskrat is right, any lock will at best stop a kid nicking your bike to go for a joy ride. A proper thief will take your bike regardless of how many switches/locks etc it has.

I've seen bikes chained to electricity poles get stolen, just the front wheel left behind.

I worked at a Suzuki dealership in the 70's and we sold a new trail bike to a young lad, he picked the bike up and we went through the delivery info and away he went. About 20 minutes later he walked back into the shop in tears. He only lived a short distance away so rode home, parked his bike out the front while he went in to get his gloves and when he came out the bike was gone. It was never seen again. I have always remembered it and still feel sorry for him.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 26.11. 2014 07:46 »

I was doing up a bus as a motorhome, and that went awol one night....11mtr x 3.3mtr x 2.4mtr.... was regoed and road going, but I could see where they skull dragged it about 10 mtrs, onto a super-tilt and away....*conf*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 26.11. 2014 13:50 »
 I have enough keys to carry around without adding anymore, But my other bike an A65 has a lockable twist grip which came with the bike they were made by a company called Feridax and it still works. But like others have said if someone wants to steal your bike they will take it regardless of any security measures. Thinking back to my youth I had a mate who had a Triumph T100 which at the time was only about 2-3 years old he kept it in a locked  shed at the bottom of the garden , now to get to it you had to go through the front gate down the front garden around the side of the house then down the rear garden. One night he put the bike away as normal went to bed and an hour later was woken up by the police who had been called out his bike had been stolen taken to a local industrial estate where some idiot had turned on both petrol taps slashed the pipes then set fire to it never did find out who or why.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 27.11. 2014 02:24 »
Damn, fellas, you really make me appreciate living where I do with these stories. My first thought was "why in the world would you want to lock your petcocks?  I don't even take the keys out of my bikes, and have no worries of them being stolen. Of course, if someone were foolish enough to try to steal them, the dogs would most likely bark and I'd shoot them before they got down my drive. I'd probably feel bad about having to touch up paint from them dropping it. Seeing as most everyone is Idaho is well-armed, crime is pretty well nonexistent in these hills.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 27.11. 2014 09:46 »

..' Livin' in yer own private Idaho...?. ...?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 01.12. 2014 09:40 »
I think these are points to consider if you are leaving your bike regularly parked in one place. Then you are much more likely to be targeted by folks interested in your bike or parts thereof.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza