Author Topic: Check your cables  (Read 653 times)

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
Check your cables
« on: 13.10. 2014 12:45 »
Out for my normal Sunday morning ride, then slowing down for a junction the throttle cable snaps at the twist grip. Ok have rescue and recovery, so no need to panic, but how long will they take to get to me. Lets try wraping the cable around my finger, so off i go and got home. The only breakdowns I,ve had since getting my bike back on the road is cable breakage, the same happened to my clutch cable a couple of years again, but managed a tempory repair to the clutch lever nipple and got home.
Good Advice
No reactions
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Check your cables
« Reply #1 on: 13.10. 2014 15:17 »

...slowing down for a junction the throttle cable snaps at the twist grip...Lets try wrapping the cable around my finger, so off i go and got home.

Must make hand signals tricky!

...the same happened to my clutch cable a couple of years again...

I hope you didn't wrap the clutch cable round your finger!!
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 13.10. 2014 20:21 »
Good thinking Billy, there's often some way of getting home.
Brake cables are my pet hate, you don't want one of those to go when your approaching a hairpin at warp speed. DAMHIK.
Broke a throttle cable on my rhonda 100 miles from home so wound the idle screw right up so it ran at 60mph in top on the flat. Used the kill button as the throttle. That made an interesting descent of the Clyde.
Cheers
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Best Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
« Reply #3 on: 13.10. 2014 20:54 »

...slowing down for a junction the throttle cable snaps at the twist grip...Lets try wrapping the cable around my finger, so off i go and got home.

Must make hand signals tricky!

...the same happened to my clutch cable a couple of years again...

I hope you didn't wrap the clutch cable round your finger!!

Hey guys, I have broken a throttle cable twice, both times in the city on surface streets.  One time I got home like Musky said, wind the slide stop screw up until I could get it home on a really fast idle setting.  The second time I was better prepared.  The throttle cable end broke off inside the handlebar throttle, so in my tool bag I had started carrying a round brass piece, with a cable size hole through the center, and a set screw that came in from the end, and would clamp down on the cable going through, which gives you a finger wrap around hold on either side of the cable, so you can pull the throttle on and off.  I had a guy tell me he runs 2 cables of each, on all his bikes, so he has a spare when one brakes.  I just do not like the looks of all those cables, threaded all over the bike.  Muskys Idea of using the kill button for a throttle is GENIUS,  that is one that did not come to mind when mine broke.  If a guy was on a really long trip on the expressways, running a spare cable of each, (clutch and throttle), is a much safer way to handle the situation. Just finding any Brit bike cables in my city has become almost Impossible, all of the shops owners have either died or shut down for lack of business. Here in the States it is not like in the UK, you guys can even take your pick of the shop you like, and want to deal with, one on most every corner still.  That is understandable because you have the most of the Brit bikes still, here they are disappearing very rapidly.  If a fella here is not over 50 years old, and had one of these bikes as a kid, he would not even be able to start one up, the old  TICKLE TRICK  is not something you have to do to our modern bikes, so most would just wear out their leg, and lungs just trying to start a cold bike.
Good Advice
No reactions
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 13.10. 2014 22:07 »

Think I already told about losing the twist grip end one night about midnight or so.  Lucky had a spare 'screw on' like Bill, so hooked it up to the brake lever- worked so good that as an easy fix, I just added another brake lever until I got around to doing it properly. .. *eek*
  Them the time same problem on my Gutzzi about a hundred k's from home.
  Twin pull cables, can't remember which side, have a feeling it was the rhs, so had to swap cables similar to Billy, I could pull on the left one at the carby end with that hand (easy access, beside my knee), and keep them balanced using the twist grip.... gear changes and getting through town was interesting, and then the trip up the twisties to home made for a fun trip. .... I like that idea of carrying spare cables hooked up ready to go, but agree it's a bit cluttery.... which reminds me even a spare throttle one under the seat... clutch I can live with, they break reasonably often, and I always know when they are about to- there's this ...  'squishy feeling'
Good Advice
No reactions
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 13.10. 2014 22:21 »
...Used the kill button as the throttle.

Early aeroplane stylee
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #6 on: 14.10. 2014 01:46 »
It was fun coming out of the corners sideways  *eek*. Talk about an ON - OFF power band.
Cheers
Good Advice
No reactions
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 14.10. 2014 03:32 »

Just remembered why I like kick starters- with electric start only, it's a bitch when the clutch cable breaks and I have a flat battery. ... requires extra  *beer* thought *beer*....
Good Advice
No reactions
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #8 on: 14.10. 2014 11:20 »
Broke a clutch cable once on my first a10 outfit , passengers 3 of were sitting on a board (!) just had a good night in Southport and on the way home started her up and bang the handlebar end parted . I pulled the cable through wrapped it round a spanner and handed it to the middle passenger shouted in and out and we were off only needed at a stop no probs just some strange looks from car drivers and pedestrans at juction with the shout "in /out " good fun, BobH.
Good Advice
No reactions
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #9 on: 14.10. 2014 11:34 »
When I was a boy (we've all heard that one) about 10 with my 9 year old girlfriend on the back of my home made mini bike, the handle bar clamp bolts broke. I still had throttle and brakes, but no way of stopping it going where IT wanted. 1 mile up hill to home, I pointed the forks, she pushed.
Cheers
Good Advice
No reactions
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 14.10. 2014 12:20 »
Well, now I've got an idea what my next problem is going to be eh???
Good Advice
No reactions

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 14.10. 2014 13:14 »
When I was a boy (we've all heard that one) about 10 with my 9 year old girlfriend on the back of my home made mini bike, the handle bar clamp bolts broke. I still had throttle and brakes, but no way of stopping it going where IT wanted. 1 mile up hill to home, I pointed the forks, she pushed.
Cheers

Conjures up a great image! *smile*
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline KeithJ

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #12 on: 27.11. 2014 20:34 »
Carried spare clutch cable around for years on two of my bikes.  Only recently, I rebuilt one and thought I'd fit the spare cable.  Guess what?  Yup, it would not fit.  Someone had changed the lever from no adjuster to with adjusters! 

The other I acquired with a bike.  When I came to fit it, the clutch end nipple was the wrong size.  So I now check all spare cables fit when I get them!

On the positive side, by carrying them it meant I never needed them.  How's that for preventative maintenance?
ATB

Keith
Good Advice
No reactions
'59 A10RR + Second engine