Author Topic: Exhaust Pipe Problem  (Read 3663 times)

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: Exhaust Pipe Problem
« Reply #15 on: 11.03. 2009 21:58 »
Yep, Got it in one.
If you can not afford quality, then go for the cheap bits in the knowledge that they probably will not fit and require some degree of "fitting" as you have done with your pipes.
When you find some one with good quality parts that fit correctly, TELL THE WHOLE WORLD.
If you bought cheap & they were dissapointing then grin & bear it.
Things work much better if you heap praise on the "good guys" and damm by ommission the bad guys, Sort of like ebay.
Some parts I use are top drawer while others are from slightly lower down the chest but when I get bad bits I just work on them till I am happy with them rather than carrying on like a mad tart because my own cheapness had brought me undone.

If I had the cash at the time & could find what I wanted when I needed it then I would always put the best quality parts on as I prefer to be riding rather than wrenching.
If possible I also fit correct parts , but if it is a case of wrong bits & on the road or correct bits on back order then I tend towards the road.
You can always find the right bits latter on but you can never go on the run that you missed and we all have a finite riding life.
I have a hide thicker than an elephant so all the nay sayers rubbishing me for having wrong parts on the bike get ignored.
Then there is the fact that it is MY BIKE so I have the right to fit whatever parts that I like so the next item for the WM20 will be a fishtale exhaust. Totally incorrect, but I like the look ( and sound) of the fishtale and it will give a bit more clearence between the incorrect kick start lever and the correct round muffler.

If I had a $ for every one I have come across over the years who spent years & years doing a catalogue perfect restoration then never got to ride his handiwork due to , heat attack, stroke , muscular distrophy, etc, etc, etc then I would have a garage full of gold stars and a very fat bank account.

Bike beesa
Trevor 
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #16 on: 11.03. 2009 22:23 »
Now you're talking Trevor . . . working and running beats waiting and worrying about the 'right' bits any day. Doesn't really matter what is 'right' to those of us who make no claims; and even for those who try to get it dead right, such claims often turn out to be debatable. I'd have to know more than the pea-brain can handle to be able to assemble something that might be, maybe, 'correct' - and while doing it, I'd have missed thousands of miles of amusement (and no doubt a fair bit of 'wrenching' as well).
So a fishtail which isn't fouled by the incorrect kick-start lever wouldn't bother me a bit, any more than the fact that my A's meant to be a Super Rocket so where's the alloy head and what cam has it got?
I reckon all the scary ways of dying you list are more likely to be ventured upon the person who's worried about whether his advance/retard lever should have the hex-head screw or the counter-bored round one than on the guy who just hooks it up and goes for a ride . . . . . . But hey, ours is a broad church - there might even be a Harley owner somewhere around!
Bill

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #17 on: 11.03. 2009 22:26 »
And good to hear that you are on the road.
Ride it with pride, knowing what you have done to get it mobile.
Enjoy your bike, that is what they were made for.
A little line that I have used for many years when some one points out the pipes ( or any other wrong, missing or bodged bit ).
"Yes I know, but I did not have the correct bit at the time , have you got one ? "
Usually they will pull there head in and slunk off to the hole that they came from.
And if you are really lucky they will pipe up with "yes I got an old one at home"
And if you are really, really lucky, they will follow up with " I don't need it any more you can have it for a pint" .
It dose pay to be nice, even when trying to put nit pickers in their place.
Bike Beesa
trevor
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 11.03. 2009 23:35 »
Hey All,

New mufflers arrived today from British Cycle in Nova Scotia and they (the mufflers) are beatiful and, as far as I can tell, made in England. I am gassed (not drunk). Anyway, a quick question. At each end of the baffle chamber there is a hole drilled from the chamber into the pipe portion, like some kind of bypass. There is a burr on the coupling end that prevents full insertion of the exhaust pipe into the muffler. No problem, I can remove the burr. The question is, is there supposed to be exhaust gas flow through these holes which are only about 1/4" diameter?

Thanks for any help.

Richard L.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 12.03. 2009 04:43 »
Below is a drawing of the muffler showing where the holes in question are located. I have a theory. The holes are drilled in the pipe so that the person who is welding the body of the muffler to the internal pipe knows where to position the pipe, as in, "Mr. McArcker, please be sure you place the pipe in the body so that the holes cannot be seen after it is welded." How does that sound for a rationale?

Richard L.