Author Topic: Oil pump not functioning after lay up?  (Read 1650 times)

Offline AndyDenmark

• Moving Up
Oil pump not functioning after lay up?
« on: 15.12. 2014 19:52 »
Hello all.

I have just started my Golden Flash after not running it for about five weeks while I was at sea. I removed the sump plug and about a third to half of a cup of oil drained out. I put the charged battery back in and wheeled her back and forth a bit to check all was free. After starting her I soon noticed that there was no oil feeding back into the oil tank via the pipe in there. Is it possible for the pump to stick or is it something to do with the fact that she dumped some oil into the sump. I ran her for a couple of minutes maximum.

Thanks in advance....a slightly worried Andy

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Oil pump not functioning after lay up?
« Reply #1 on: 15.12. 2014 20:12 »
If you drained the sump there was no oil for the scavenge pump to pick up. After a few minutes running oil will be in the sump to be pumped.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 15.12. 2014 20:13 »
draining the oil out of the sump would cause a bit of a delay as the level will have to come up to the return pipe before the pump returns oil, and the oil has to circulate around (a dry ) engine before that happens.
Two minutes is quite some time to guess (specially if your a bit anxious ) it's probably just fine but to put your mind at rest try taking the plugs out and kick it over for a while, then do the same with your finger over the hole in the return pipe in the tank see if you feel any pressure.
If all's well start it up, also be aware the pump will try to return more oil than it delivers so what comes back into the tank is oil and air

Trev beat me to it I see
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline AndyDenmark

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 15.12. 2014 20:18 »
Thanks guys.

I had a feeling that was the case and the two minutes if it was that long felt like four lifetimes with no oil returning. I will go back out the tomorrow and follow the advice regarding taking the plugs out. My nerves cant stand another episode like that tonight :).

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 15.12. 2014 20:22 »
You've gotta be quick, Bill.   *smile* *smile*

beezermacc

« Reply #5 on: 15.12. 2014 21:43 »
I started a 'new' engine recently and it seemed like a long time before the oil started pumping up the return pipe. I kept putting my finger over the return hole in the tank to feel for pressure. It did eventually pump on its own but, if the return side of the pump has bled dry, the pump becomes very ineffective as it is just spinning its gears in air and struggles to drag oil up the pipe in the sump. I would recommend putting some oil back in the sump through one of the tappet covers and making sure the return side of the pump is primed. You can do this by removing the pipe at the oil tank and squirting oil into the pipe or just overfill the tank, maybe twelve hours before starting the bike, so oil runs down the return pipe hole. Don't forget to drain off the surplus before starting her up.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 16.12. 2014 00:35 »
Least stressful   *pull hair out* is to take the plugs out, put the bike in gear and push it until oil is pumping into the tank.....on mIne it took about a 50m walk with the bike  *smile*
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline AndyDenmark

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 16.12. 2014 06:46 »
A 50 mile walk....I will look forward to that in the p*****g rain *eek*

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 16.12. 2014 10:17 »

A 50 mile walk....I will look forward to that in the p*****g rain *eek*

I think he meant 50 metres- wouldna thunk you'd even know about miles..??????

I was going to suggest 'assuming that it has oil in the tank'- but that's too obvious..but no doubt been done before.!!!!
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline AndyDenmark

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 16.12. 2014 12:32 »
It has oil in the tank *smile* first thing I checked. Will try as soon as it stops raining and I am from the U.K so am fairly familiar with miles *smiley4* *smiley4*

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #10 on: 16.12. 2014 19:11 »
G'day Andy.
1/2 cup after 5 weeks *ex*. At least you don't have a wet sumping problem  *smile*. If the tank level hasn't dropped its best to leave the oil in the sump for a bit of start up protection.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #11 on: 17.12. 2014 13:34 »
Checking for a return is a good habit to get into Andy , I've  had no oil return on 2 occasions ,1st one  about 5 yrs ago  .I stopped the motor and tried all the usual things nothing ,whipped the outer timing cover off and the pump neck had split like a ripe banana (still got it as reminder to always check the tank myself for cleanliness, i've previously posted a picture on the forum ) new pump fitted and back in business. 2nd time was after a layup ( like you ) and turned out to be a non return valve which I threw out of the garage in disgust , I've only ever once not checked a return (cos we were late getting to london )and 5 miles later had a rod making a bid for freedom  through the cases , lesson well learned . cheers Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline AndyDenmark

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 17.12. 2014 13:53 »
Muskrat.

Some of that may already have been in the sump as I am finding out these things as I go along. I am a little confused though as I understood draining the sump once in a while is not a bad idea but I seem to have given myself problems doing it with the lack of oil through the return?.

To all the other contributors the problem has neen resolved as I did as suggested in so much as plugs out, pushed up and down the road in fourth for a good while and started her again and about twenty seconds after the oil started to come back via the return pipe and was a good healthy flow. The only slight concern was that she seemed to be smoking a bit more than normally from the right hand exhaust for a while and dumped a fair bit of oil from what I assume is a breather at the bottom of the engine. I may have overfilled her a bit to make sure oil was available... :)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 17.12. 2014 16:16 »
my Flash seem to favour the left (looking from behind) but has on occasion chucked smoke out of the right, a few theories why they do this but not sure anyone has a definitive answer and not something to worry about as it clears itself after a couple of hundred yards,
My original Flash in 16961 never smoked ( I did  tho  *eek*) but then it was out at least three times a week , had it's neck twisted on a regular basis and our kind local Bobby used to keep the exhaust clean by pushing a metal tape measure up and down the silencers when we parked the bikes up outside the White Swan, he never got it any further than the little bit of bent up perforated steel at the top of the silencer but he obviously lived in hope.
If the bike doesn't wet sump then I would just leave the sump plug alone, maybe after a long lay up it would be interesting to see just how much is in there
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline AndyDenmark

• Moving Up
« Reply #14 on: 17.12. 2014 16:23 »
Thanks Bill
It is a tribute to BSA engineering that the bike still runs inspite of my ham fisted efforts  *smiley4*.
As suggested I think I will leave the sump alone next time and maybe just give her a push up the road with the plugs out and in fourth each time I get home from sea *smile*