Author Topic: are you all christmas shopping  (Read 793 times)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
are you all christmas shopping
« on: 20.12. 2014 19:11 »
Hello anybody in here
Good Advice
No reactions
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: are you all christmas shopping
« Reply #1 on: 20.12. 2014 20:00 »
I was thinking the same thing. So, just for laughs and self ridicule, I thought I could make others feel good about themselves by showing some unabashed pictures of the state of my garage right now, today being the first day of winter. (I'll probably regret this.) I've been waiting for parts from SRM and they just arrived yesterday, so shop cleanup precedes reassembly.

Richard L.
Good Advice
No reactions
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 20.12. 2014 20:20 »
Hello, quiet here indeed, everyone probably running around emptying the credit card balance :O)

Have lately been busy getting my new satellite dish going, needed lot of experiments and adjustments, but got there in the end, currently watching BBC3, and looking forward to a peaceful xmas resting my back after some roof repairs, with tv, remote & chocolate.

With a suitable semi-gigantic dish one manages to get all the uk freesat channels (BBC, ITV, CH5 etc) in this region of Norway, lots of good stuff and films to choose from (just need to learn to tolerate the ads, but no case for complaints, it's free).

Great photos Richard, makes my workshop looks (a little) closer to a Rolex & jewels store :O)
Good Advice
No reactions

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 20.12. 2014 20:41 »
Well, the pictures are a little out of focus, but I think that might be working in my favor.

Yep, Top Gear, British cast. The American version can't touch it.

Richard L.
Good Advice
No reactions
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #4 on: 20.12. 2014 20:54 »
No Christmas shopping for me today. Instead, waiting at home for delivery of stuff ordered on-line.

The stuff didn't arrive, of course.

Did a bit of workshop tidying while 'housebound'. Out with softwood lathe supporting blocks and in with hardwood blocks and jacking studs/feet. No noticeable improvement except the look of it. Maybe time will tell.

Now able to press on with the home-grown cartridge oil filter assembly I've been thinking about for some time.

Merry Christmas to all!
Good Advice
No reactions
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline BSARGS650

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #5 on: 20.12. 2014 21:03 »
To Richard L - I think that pressure relief spring you lost, and looking for, is in that white plastic bucket....

Seasons greetings to all!
Good Advice
No reactions

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #6 on: 20.12. 2014 21:30 »
Well, the pictures are a little out of focus, but I think that might be working in my favor.

Yep, Top Gear, British cast. The American version can't touch it.

Richard L.

& the Aussie version is S*!#   *shh*  too...

My shed is a mess too... been busy rebuilding the carb Topdad gave to me for Christmas..   *thanks*

MERRY CHRISTMAS guys..
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 20.12. 2014 21:32 »
My shed also was in a state of semi ciaos but had a quick tidy up today and it's ready for continued work (and finish) on the Flash.
I have an old sky dish on the end wall (fell out with sky many moons ago) so connected it to my new Samsung which has freeview and freesat, My wife prefers freeview (no idea why) I like freesat, most impressed with the scanning for channels, it's almost instantaneous.
A little fatigued today, Luncheon club Christmas dinner yesterday with wine, then natter and nibbles with nieghbours last night with wine - surprisingly not hung over just eyelids keep falling down.
Ah Terry I was tracking a rather tidy looking Morgo oil filter on eBay, but dropped out when the price just got too near that of a new one
Doing a bit of research on Bikes for a talk for our local U3A in March (did one for them last year om BSA) got a bit of Lawrence stuff and a video on Youtube of the Mods and Rockers which needs a bit of pruning (it's an hour long), found a pic of George Brough on an SS and of course there is plenty Elvis, Marlon, Steve McQueen/Bud Etkins, James Dean (keep the old ladies interested surely)
Good Advice
No reactions
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 21.12. 2014 00:35 »
Bill,

I think I have may have mentioned in the past that I first became interested in British motorcyles in the mid '60s while hanging around Bud Ekins' Triumph dealership in Van Nuys, California.

Richard L.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 21.12. 2014 02:01 »
I've been tearing down a '73 Triumph Daytona- needs gears, cylinder bores and head look good; putting together an A10 engine (need a lockwasher for the oil pump drive gear and a couple bits for the magneto), and modifying (reshaping the foam to be similar to A65 with the hump at the rear) and recovering a seat for a '74 Triumph Trident. Bought some carpet to put in the trunk of the MGB, but found a small rust spot I want to repair first. Also been selling some parts on Ebay. So, no, haven't been Christmas shopping.
   MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY HOLIDAYS, SEASONS GREETINGS TO ALL!
Good Advice
No reactions

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 21.12. 2014 09:53 »
...just need to learn to tolerate the ads...
We have a YouView system that is based on a Humax PVR, (Personal Video Recorder). We can record progs or just pause live TV, go and make a cup of tea to buffer some viewing time then we can jump past the adverts. Lovely!
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #11 on: 21.12. 2014 10:08 »
Hi Guys
My mother passed away in early November (yes she who rode on the back of the A7 a couple of Christmases ago) so been dealing with that. Its not overly sad as she went in the way she would want, quite quickly without pain and with her dignity intact, she was 88.
Anyway finally got in the garage yesterday and cleaned the A10 then a light covering of ACF50 to preserve her as best I can. The A7 is next for clean and protection and then doing the winter jobs list on both (the Matchless G80 is delayed again)
Good Advice
No reactions
1961 A7 since 1976
1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project
1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 T100

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 21.12. 2014 11:25 »
sorry to hear that Angus, takes a good year or so come to terms with.

mid '60s while hanging around Bud Ekins' Triumph dealership
Think I'd forgotten that Richard, well worth the mention though, didn't know he had a dealership so will incorporate the fact in my talk

We have a YouView system that is based on a Humax PVR
Got one also, got it for free when they first came out (I'm a sometimes BT trialist), think it's showing it's age now as it seems slow compared to the smart TV when downloading such as Iplayers.
Had a chat with BT yesterday as my present contracts ends next month, got a good reduction on the package (TV down to £2 month) was armed with quotes from Plusnet and John Lewis mind you
Good Advice
No reactions
All the best - Bill

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 21.12. 2014 15:11 »

mid '60s while hanging around Bud Ekins' Triumph dealership

I said "in Van Nuys", but if you happen to go Googling, it was actually in the adjoining neighborhood of Sheman Oaks. It's all Los Angeles. Interesting thing I found was that the famous bike used in the Great Escape jump was painted in military colors by Von Dutch right in that shop.

Richard L.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline unclerob

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #14 on: 21.12. 2014 16:13 »
I'm just back from my Christmas shopping.....with a Ducati
Good Advice
No reactions