Author Topic: correct switch?  (Read 983 times)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
correct switch?
« on: 23.12. 2014 17:38 »
I may be getting finnikity in my old age, so tell me if I'm wrong.
Can't for the life of me remember how the lighting switch sit on my Flash, first pic shows it in the off position , second is full on (headlights).
I seem to think that when it's off the knob should point north and south but the flay on the switch of course dictates where it sits.
The knob has had a hard life but is as I got it in 1999, the brass hinged bit is missing from the top and a couple of terminals. I have a new switch but it orientates in the same position.
Am I just imagining that it should sit N & S when at rest (just realized I cropped the pics so for clarity the speedometer is top left in the pics)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
Re: correct switch?
« Reply #1 on: 23.12. 2014 19:15 »
Hi.
For headlamp nacelle mounted switch I think its West to East. Pictured that way in the Instruction Manual and Haynes book
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 23.12. 2014 20:56 »
Thanks Billybream, so if it's E/W (when off) it's correct as in the top pic?
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #3 on: 24.12. 2014 16:17 »
Hi Bill, in this post there's a pic of my nacelle. It was in the off or pilot light position when I took the picture.
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=8219.0
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 24.12. 2014 17:14 »
Thanks Morris - looks like the thing is as it should be - bit untidy tho , I mean it looks good when it's on but then it can't be seen, maybe they were a bit more into function more than aesthetics back in the day
All the best - Bill

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #5 on: 24.12. 2014 18:07 »
Mmm... aesthetics... maybe my personal taste but it seems to me also that the closer you get to the sixties the more functionality took over from aesthetics. There was a post recently where someone mentioned (think it was Chaterlea25) that the change to unit bikes marked the end of an era. Spot on I'd say, but there already where some signs on the wall in the second half of the fifties which ended in the ugliness (as I said, personal taste!) from the seventies and early eighties...
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 24.12. 2014 21:49 »
the closer you get to the sixties the more functionality took over from aesthetics

well there were the drainpipe trousers and winklepickers, not sure which side of the argument that supports tho *smiley4*
All the best - Bill

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 26.12. 2014 13:58 »
Hi again Bill,

It's been a while since I assembled the lighting switch on my 1960 "nacelle" GF but I seem to remember that there is only one way to install it.  The shaped hole in the nacelle determines the position of the actual switch and (I think) the actuating part only go on one way, thus determining the final position of the top control.  Am I correct in stating this?

If this is the case, mine is shown in the following image with the lights in the "Off" position.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n80/beezageezauk/BSA%20Close%20Ups/DSCF4965_zps4a5db09b.jpg

Beezageezauk

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 26.12. 2014 14:42 »
yes Beezageezauk that's the way it is, don't know why I thought it should be otherwise other than it just looks odd (probably a couple of brain cell deaths and a bit of rewiring up there causing a problem)

BTW what kind of snake is that you have hitching a lift on the bars  ;)
All the best - Bill

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 26.12. 2014 15:08 »
That snake isn't dangerous Bill.  It just slithers between the spokes, over the nacelle and down the opposite side.  After it settles and locks itself in it's final position I need to use a special key to remove it.  I can then move the bike.

All the best for 2015.

Beezageezauk.