Author Topic: Can I use my positive earth regulator after "flashing" to negative?  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
I normally know my way around electrical stuff pretty well, but when it comes to Field coil and how it's connected to the Dynamo output, I'm lost.
So, my question is, is it possible to rewire my regulator below for negative earth?
   Gothenburg, Sweden

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Hi,
In a word "No*sad2*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
G'day Johnny.
In a few words  *smile* I don't know of any brand of electronic regulator that can be swapped polarity. They are bought +ve or -ve.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
Fair dinkum (or what you say, remember something like this from when I was in Australia back in the late 80's) :-)

Anyone changing back to positive and want do an exchange? ;-)
   Gothenburg, Sweden

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
simple fix is to flash the dynamo back to positive earth unless there is some reason you want to change polarity
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
"Fair dinkum", bl@@dy oath mate.
It really doesn't matter which way its earthed to electrical items (electronic regulators and ignition excluded). Lights and horn will work either way and charging will take place as long as the dynamo is flashed to the correct polarity. I recently connected a modern electronic tacho to the '51 A7, red wire = + so it was earthed and black = - so it was hooked up to the amp gauge.
Why do you want to change? If it's to conform with your other bikes, do they have right foot gear change one up three down??
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
Yes I'd like to know why you want negative earth particularly.  Fitting a CD player or something?

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
Well, I want to use LED bulbs for most of the bike and I am also right now putting blinkers on the bike, going on a road trip this summer to GB and I put safety before looks. :-)
Not used to keeping left.

I just came in from the garage and I have successfully isolated all the lights and blinkers so I can use separate minus wires, thus making it independent from ground polarity.
Don't know if you saw my other post, but I have bought a 6-12V converter which I will use for the lighting and keep 6V for charging and battery.
The input and output of this is not isolated and has a common minus so I can not connect this to ground if I keep it positive.
After isolating the lights and connecting minus wires to them I don't need to connect the converter to ground now so I can leave the dynamo and regulator as they are (haven't flashed the dynamo).
   Gothenburg, Sweden

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
I want to use LED bulbs for most of the bike

AH fair enough, positive earth leds are available for some but not all  situations I guess (look at NORBSA)
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
Thank you all for your input and suggestions, think I got this issue under control now, I'm sure there will be more questions about other things later.
I recently changed to tapered steering bearings and that was really an improvement, before it was actually hard keeping balance when driving slowly.

Had the bike a month now and I have really learned alot from this forum, don't know where I would be without you guys!
   Gothenburg, Sweden

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
As you brought the subject up Johnie J I'll add a little to it
Started to reconnect the wiring on my Flash (6 volt + earth) far too many wires in those pattern looms and the wrong colours, I trimmed out those that just loop the loop a the  battery end and made it more like the A10 wiring diagram, given the price of the cheaper ones ( the dearer ones are probably better quality and correct) I would recommend any one to make up there own loom, but this is not my question.
I have a Vreg which is negative earth (6volt or 12volt by cutting a wire), the Flash is Positive Earth, is there anyway to convert this to positive earth, I'm thinking maybe take the Earth wire to the Ammeter and the Ammeter wire to earth.
Looking forward to your chucles, I don't want to damage it,as if it not possible I'll sell it on
All the best - Bill

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
G'day Bill.
I doubt it. I thought the Vreg and DVR2 are both made to either + or - earth. If you could swap'em around there'd be no reason to make two types.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Cheers Musky your thought process putting is mine to shame (missing the obvious again)
All the best - Bill

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
New Years eve, hmm, it's never as simple as you think. More cables required than planned.
After some bending the front blinkers are lined up, I have an extra original head light with sleeves if I want to go back.
   Gothenburg, Sweden

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
What make of regulator is that Johny J, and have you used it or is it new.
I've DVR2 on the RGF, looking for one for the Flash (Flash being Magneto the quality is not so critical) might try a W*****  *shh*
Then you can all say "told ya" *red*
All the best - Bill