Author Topic: Can I use my positive earth regulator after "flashing" to negative?  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
The regulator is the "Boyer" at the top of the thread, the finned alu-box mounted on top of it is the 6->12V converter.
   Gothenburg, Sweden

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
HI Bill,
might try a W*****  *shh*

Why bother???????

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Quite a lot of larger, a large sherry and a firework display prevent a reasonable answer at the moment
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Good one Bill. Your just starting I'm recovering. *problem*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
New Years eve, hmm, it's never as simple as you think. More cables required than planned.
After some bending the front blinkers are lined up, I have an extra original head light with sleeves if I want to go back.

I haven't found those squashy pre-insulated crimp terminals to be very secure, long term.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
I haven't found those squashy pre-insulated crimp terminals to be very secure, long term

No same here, on The Flash I used uninsulated terminal, soldered, crimped and and used covers and shrink - never a problem with it other than the terminal with covers on take up some room, smaller terminals are available but covers for them not so easy to get
The RGF  just used insulated crimps for speed, now if you separate two wires there's a good chance the spade will come off, OK my crimping pliers are not the best but I think I still prefer a bit of solder, and that my next project - rewire it
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
HI Bill,

might try a W*****  *shh*

Why bother???????

Sorry John, got around to you at last - got a Lucas regulator on the bench which I could use, but I'm trying achieve a tool box for tools and storage, just wondered if the Wassel might not be as bad as some of their other stuffs reputation no evidence either way as of yet
All the best - Bill

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
I try to get rid of most of the connectors and solder with shrink tubing islolation, withstands vibrations and moist the best.
   Gothenburg, Sweden

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
HI Bill,
I'm too full of new years beer to search for previous threads on regulators,
Our man Manor Mike posted some comparisons if I remember correctly,
anyway as the computer mad said "crap in = crap out!!!"
so for a couple of quid extra buy the best and forget about it

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
so for a couple of quid extra buy the best and forget about it

Ah this afternoon bought about a change of priorities
The reason for sticking to positive earth was because I have a positive earth LED taillight bulb courtesy of Paul Goff many moons ago, testing my wiring this afternoon I discovered that 1. the number plate lighting section does not work and 2. with the lights in the shed off it is nowhere near as bright as a bulb on the stop light aspect of it.
So the obvious answer to my mind is to ditch the LED bulb, keep the Negative voltage control and go negative earth, it just entailing flashing the dynamo and the connections on the ammeter, so one problems solves another so to speak.
Yes while I'm not hungover to any degree the loss of sleep time and evenings frivolities are taking some time to get over *sleepy*
All the best - Bill