Author Topic: Can A65 pistons be fitted to an A10 as direct replacement ?  (Read 2688 times)

Offline Beriano

• Active
I,m new to this forum,following a recent con rod failure on my '48 rigid framed A10 (1950 engine) I am in the process of gathering bits for my rebuild. In this connection I have acquired A large journal crank and already have a spitfire cam if needed and also have thick flange barrell.New A10 pistons tend to be much more expensive than A65 pistons, as I intend to increase the compression can anyone advise if the A65 pistons will work as direct replacements.?.....many thanks in anticipation of a reply (hopefully)

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
The short answer is no.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
A slightly longer answer:

I see no reason why A65 pistons would have anything at all in common with A10 pistons.  The A65 bore is much larger, which makes me think you haven't even Googled this.

What was your "rod failure" and what was the reason for it? If the rod broke, the usual reason is a big end seizure. The usual reason for a big end seizure is oil supply failure.

What compression ratio do you want and why?

Offline Beriano

• Active
Rod failure was due to lack of oil....my son took bike out for  spin when I was away without checking level beforehand....re compression increase not yet decided.thanks for your help.

beezermacc

A10 pistons are less than £100 a pair.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Beriano,

First,  *welcome*.

Second, we love pictures of bikes in all states of repair and rebuilding. Also, they help when trying to give advice, opinions or chiding (the latter always in good fun).

Third, you are closer to Aberystwyth than, I'd say, 99% of forum members. You should take a ride with your parts over to SRM in Aberystwyth and talk to Gary Hearl. He has always been generous with advice and information and can help out (a lot) with parts. (You can get cheaper parts but, perhaps, not better.)

Regards,

Richard L.

Online BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
A10 pistons are less than £100 a pair.
Beezermacc,
I am on the lookout for a set of A7 +20 pistons. Whereabouts do you get yours from as I am having trouble geting some for that sort of price?
thanks Andy

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)

beezermacc

I stock the new Hepolites but they are only available for A10's. JP pistons are available for A7's but they're twice the price.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
...oh, and let me also mention there is a gentleman in Cheshire by the name of Andrew who runs a business called Priory Magnetos, has been very generous with his knowledge, appears to have quite a selection of parts at fair prices, and sometimes goes by the name Beezermacc.  *smile*

Richard L.

Online BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
Yep seen the prices for JP pistons  *eek*. I was speaking to the guy doing my rebore(once I have the pistons) and he has people bringing what they believe to be Helopite(sp) pistons, and he has to tell them that the box may be helopite but pistons were not. Be careful what you buy folks  *sad2*

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Yep seen the prices for JP pistons  *eek*. I was speaking to the guy doing my rebore(once I have the pistons) and he has people bringing what they believe to be Helopite(sp) pistons, and he has to tell them that the box may be helopite but pistons were not. Be careful what you buy folks  *sad2*

They're Hepolite pistons all right. Modern Hepolite pistons are made by JCC in Taiwan.

They're pretty good.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
and HP sauce is now made in Holland, has been for many a year, I haven't bought any HP since they shifted, changed to Daddy's, my choice but if they thought every body choose the same they might not have moved - ok point made
now pistons, the last ones I bought were made in Oz I believe, seem ok so far
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
bloody hell Bill you just confused half the forum with mention of HP and Daddies ,to enlighten ..... Both were British favorite sauces to accompany our world wide famous healthy fry up for breakfast , to save money a company and trans HP ( HP = Houses of Parliament) to the continent ,agree totally with you bill by the way , back to topic gents regards bob  *wink2*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
bloody hell Bill you just confused half the forum
ah only 50% success then  *smiley4*v- yes apologies all

back on track I believe I bought JP pistons for my Flash way back in 99 and understood they were made by Hepolite (or the remains of) what did have a Hepolite box were the liners I bought at the same time, pretty sure they came from C&D and they are a bit particular about what they sell, haven't bought much from them lately, no reason really except it's so (too) easy to do stuff online, I did email order stuff from them tho, must look back and see if their site is fully online

Just had a look - no just a front page and tel No
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Bit off topic but anyway...
bloody hell Bill you just confused half the forum with mention of HP and Daddies
HP, although indeed made in Holland, still my favourite, but may have a go at Daddies next time...
A plate of chips, a fried egg, some Haywards onions, topped with HP or Hellman's and flushed through with a pint of Old Speckled Hen.
Think I now confused all of the Brits on this forum *smile*
BTW, did you guys read the small print on Bird's custard lately?
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium