Author Topic: clones/fakes  (Read 309 times)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
clones/fakes
« on: 04.01. 2015 13:07 »
Stopped in at a friends shop the other day (Union Motorcycle Classics, Nampa, Idaho) to see what he'd been building lately. Saw a familiar frame, that wasn't quite right. An A7/A10 frame with 4 welded lugs on downtubes, otherwise standard looking. I said something like "what the hell, that's sort of an RGS but not really". Luke laughed and said "yeah, that's the clone that was at the show last year". Wondering why someone would go to the trouble of welding on the extra lugs? Heck, just put low bars, rearsets, fenders, headlight and a 2 into 1 exhaust on any A10 and you've got the RGS look.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: clones/fakes
« Reply #1 on: 04.01. 2015 14:00 »
and you've got the RGS look.

Unfortunately there are those who are after "the  look" for reasons other than the joy of riding a sporty bike (or lookalike) and welded on lugs will have lured a few innocents to part with money for something other than a RGS - started with the Greeks and that horse I suppose
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 04.01. 2015 19:27 »
Was the frame number "modified" as well? They can fool some people some of the time but they can't fool this forum at all. ;)
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 04.01. 2015 20:53 »
Jachenbach,
                          What do you mean by "welded lugs"?
Do you mean the cast lugs or the tubular lugs?

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 04.01. 2015 21:32 »
I didn't look real closely, just up at the neck and it was obviously not an RGS frame. I'm certainly no expert on RGS, but have learned a bit (and a lot more left to learn) since I acquired one. If it's still around next time I get over to Nampa I'll have to take another look. I guess after 50+ years there are very few truly original bikes left, so it just comes down to what's on the title. A Spitfire Scrambler I saw last year was being billed as RGS, but I noticed the front axle clamping blocks immediately. Don't recall if the frame was RGS or not. It was a very nice bike, and I think it brought $12k when he sold it on Ebay. I doubt I'll ever get mine to 100% correct, and honestly don't care that much. I just want to be able to ride it.