Author Topic: resleeve barrels advice required.  (Read 631 times)

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
resleeve barrels advice required.
« on: 29.01. 2015 11:57 »
Morning gents , looking for some advice re the best way forward in my pending quest to restore some A10 bits I've had lying around for years.
A set of thick flanged barrels  that had a row with a rod and lost ,need sleeving and I  want to get this done now ,what I'm going to do with them is a up in the air hence the post. Normally I'd get that done and pistons to suit but I'm unsure that I'll need 'em and may sell to fund a set of new rods or help towards refurb and end feed conversion of a bottom end I've got as well .
So would it be better to get the lot done ie with pistons or hold fire on pistons to allow the new owner to decide on type ie compression ratio etc??  Look forward to hearing what you guys think, cheers BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: resleeve barrels advice required.
« Reply #1 on: 29.01. 2015 14:10 »
Bob,

It seems to me that you won't get much extra for your investment by adding anything to the barrels. Ultimately, what you would be doing is investing your time and transport expenses to get it done and expecting that that investment comes back from the buyer. If you do decide to sleeve, I agree with your point about the buyer wanting to choose his own pistons, or use some he could already have.  So, overall, I guess I'm suggesting selling them as is, if you do sell them.

Richard L.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 29.01. 2015 15:13 »
cheers Richard , how many in..... feet of snow are you fighting with at the mo regards Bob.
United Kingdom

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 29.01. 2015 17:00 »
I think that if you have them sleeved you would have the rebore done at the same time, and that would be best done with the pistons to hand. So what Richard said really.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 30.01. 2015 02:17 »
Bob, I'm sure I will regret saying this, but this year has been pretty mild, snow-wise, in Chicago.  We were not hit by the big storm advertised for NYC. Last year, not so mild.

Richard L.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 30.01. 2015 11:32 »
I too agree. Sell as is. You won't get a premium price, even when sleeved I doubt you'll recover costs.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #6 on: 30.01. 2015 12:16 »
Cheers guys thats cleared the wood from the trees! Richard, glad to hear that the snow plows are stood down at present but as you say it ain't over yet, regards bob.
United Kingdom