Author Topic: road tax  (Read 474 times)

Offline derek taylor

• A's Best Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
road tax
« on: 03.02. 2015 18:46 »
Just got the tax reminder even tho its tax excempt , does anyone know do you still have to take it to the post office?

Offline PaulC

• A's Best Friend
Re: road tax
« Reply #1 on: 03.02. 2015 19:19 »
I did mine on line last year without any problems.  This year the only change I expect is that I won't be sent a disc to display on my bike. Best keep the email confirmation, tho as proof that you have applied.

Paul
A10 Super Rocket 1959
Norton International Model 40 1949
Triumph Thruxton R 2016
Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring 2014

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 03.02. 2015 20:19 »
Ditto Derek,did exactly the same, Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #3 on: 03.02. 2015 20:33 »
I'm sure another post covers this. There's something about the MoT that requires an online 'yes' even though, pre 1960, one is no longer required. Apologies for being a bit vague but I'll need to brush up before my next non-tax is due.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 11.02. 2015 16:08 »
Thought I'd share this . Just rec'd my reminder to retax and to confuse things it did state on the front that my bike needed a valid MOT  even though it was shown has BSA ,Historic vehicle ,etc  ( thats the bike not me ) Went online to the Gov site and taxed the bike in 2 mins ,without an MOT , was very plea\sed with how easy it was but wonder why they can't leave off incorect info, regards BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 11.02. 2015 16:55 »
Whilst we’re on the subject, though It might not be so relevant where we’re running tax exempt vehicles; but I remain confuses as to how SORN is actually supposed to work. Despite the recent changes dropping the issue of a tax disc it still seems like something of an enigma. I get the bit about continuous tax/SORN being required, but it doesn’t seem to work for me with the whole month aspect still being used. As it happens I have a number of vehicles that I don’t run through the winter, and often as not I’ll be declaring SORN for them to get a partial refund. Now it is a little simpler not having to physically post the disc back, but for me it goes something like this:

I had my V50 and Sportster taxed for winter use. Unfortunately on a recent examination I found that the alternator in the back of the Hardley clutch drum had expired (with extreme prejudice). The replacement clutch basket is expensive, but cheaper in the States so I’m having one flown in. In the meantime I figured I’d SORN the bike.

So I went on line on the last day of Jan, but on the DVLA site I can only declare SORN from the beginning of the month i.e. Jan 1st. Even though my tax will only refund from Feb 1st. But if I wait until Feb 1st to declare, then they get to steal that month pro-rated from my refund. So in theory, if I used Hardley in Jan it was taxed at the time. However, after the SORN declaration it wasn’t taxed in January (though that month was actually paid for), so if they found camera evidence of usage in that month would I be up before the beak?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline derek taylor

• A's Best Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #6 on: 12.02. 2015 19:30 »
done the tax took the form to the post office its just a formality to register it

Offline sparx

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #7 on: 14.02. 2015 00:00 »
I had to click the MOT "yes" box to renew my tax online, despite the bike being MOT exempt and not having one. Without doing that it wouldn't go on to the next screen. I figured that as they check the insurance and MOT before renewing the tax, even when there is no fee due for a "historic" vehicle, if there was a problem it would be kicked out at the checking stage.
  I look upon it as saying there is no issue with the MOT rather than the fact of the bike having one.
Dave
Peterborough (UK)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 14.02. 2015 13:08 »
I've just re-taxed my sickle; did it online; easy peasy.

Offline dave st cleer

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 17.02. 2015 20:05 »
when road tax reminder came for my1959 Norton it said it needed an mot but I  still tried on line and it went through all right I later phoned dvla Swansea and they told me this was standard on all reminder forms and just ignore