Author Topic: Cush drive Nut-Easy on/Easy off  (Read 1731 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Cush drive Nut-Easy on/Easy off
« on: 06.02. 2015 10:07 »

I know this one has been discussed in depth, and haven't gone researching, so if it hasn't happened already- I found an easy fix...much better than jamming the missus's ride in the spokes.....

Yesterday I pulled off the Cush spring, usually a challenge but came off with a tap of a rubber mallet.......

Tightening was not so easy, as my clutch lets go after about 40 ft/lb, so I had beverage and would've slept on it, but I didn't get that far....
 had thought of dropping the sump plate and jamming something in there, but that idea evaporated kinda easy..until.. *beer* *????*where's that lightbulb when I need it..?? *conf2* ok got it... *idea*

ok
  The lower primary adjuster bolt on Plunger engines, which equates to the lower of the two rear studs holding the inner primary case on S/A engines, can be removed and replaced with a longer bolt to jam the counterweight web of the crank as it approaches @ ~20˚ATDC to tighten cush nut, or to loosen ~60˚BBDC....I think (?) depending on the crank...it was too easy

I took pictures, but can't find them now... *pull hair out*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Cush drive Nut-Easy on/Easy off
« Reply #1 on: 06.02. 2015 11:00 »
Not quite sure I'm in favour of that one Dutch, in my mind's eye I see possible damaged threads that have to return out through an threaded alloy casting.
Maybe I'm just having a glass half empty day

Clutch holding tool is the dogs doodahs I found
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 06.02. 2015 11:12 »
much better than jamming the missus's ride in the spokes
rofl

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 06.02. 2015 11:18 »
Does sound like maybe you could bend the bolt over?

I happened to be doing a similar job - removing the engine sprocket on the primary of my Sportster just a week or two back. The nut is a normal RH thread but boy was it tight. The manual did suggest coiling nylon line in through a spark plug hole on that cylinders firing stroke to give some resistance. Hanging on to the tail of the line of course. Which puts it all through the rod I suppose - and I guess they should take it.

Rather than do that I managed to make a plate to join a larger stud to one of the tapped holes in the sprocket. Took a 5 foot pole over the end of my socket T bar to get things finally moving. No sudden bang either.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 06.02. 2015 14:05 »
Here's the approach I last used for tightening the nut. Haven't yet had the need to test this method for loosening.

http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=368.msg58817#msg58817

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 06.02. 2015 14:18 »
  rofl
....what's that...a Viking chortle..??

Yo Bill, that was the first thing I thought of, and thought to waste a bolt and grind off the excess thread on the end, but when I screwed in the bolt to measure up (Unbrako 3/8" x 1" socket cap) I figured I'd do a test run steady, steady- started at 40 ft-lb no probs..55,60,65...before I'd even noticed- job done..no probs !
 In fact I was so surprised, I did it twice to check..!!
    For what it's worth, the Bolt hole is ~74mm (almost 3") radius so 65lb @ 12" i guess equates to ~264lb @ 3"...(unless I'm doing the maths wrong-mathx2 for Richard, I did it twice)
 So all I can say is that this is my future preferred method, not negotiable, not even going to argue about it....try it or don't try it.

*beer* aaahh *beer*.... *smile*
 Ok Richard, Yea rounded me up , I'll have a look

edit here, Richard I looked at your idea, admirable but I was expecting the cable to attach bottom-top in a X pattern on the chain (if yea kenow what I mean), so depending if tightening or loosening, the wire would be pulling against the upper (or lower) chain running in opposite direction..... but I like mine better...sorry-not *smile*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #6 on: 06.02. 2015 21:23 »

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 06.02. 2015 21:50 »
If it works for you Dutch then that's the way to go
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 07.02. 2015 06:56 »
There's always "more than one way to skin a cat". Apologies to our feline lovers.
I prefer a rattle gun, bike in gear, rear brake locked.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 07.02. 2015 09:03 »

haaha...a10gf- careful, don't rofl too much or 'someone' may need that unused ride to sweep you up. *smile*

Bill and Musky- sorry that may ahve sounded a bit contentious, but that's where the mood swing took me... *conf*

Seriously though, you'd be surprised how easy it is..
Australia

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #10 on: 25.03. 2015 09:56 »
I use the piston stop method commonly called the "Indian Rope Trick "
Rope down the plug hole.
If you wistle or hum the right tune the rope will levitate out of the plug hole when you have finished and hang straight up .
Wistle the wrong tune and the carpet you are working on will lift up & fly out the window.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 25.03. 2015 10:20 »
Always worried I might bend a rod doing that - am I just being a gurl?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #12 on: 25.03. 2015 19:10 »
G'day cyclobutch. Only if you need to use a 6' pipe to undo the nut. The closer to TDC when it all locks up is best, and make sure it's on compression stroke (valves closed).
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline East_Coast_BSA

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 28.03. 2015 06:13 »
Always worried I might bend a rod doing that - am I just being a gurl?
It's actually the recommended method by Rotax for removing clutches from snowmobile engines.  It works very well, I do it whenever I need to lock up the crankshaft.