Author Topic: 59 A7 starting problems  (Read 4705 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: 59 A7 starting problems
« Reply #30 on: 19.12. 2013 15:27 »

.timed 180 degrees out
Means the plug leads have been swapped around

Yes Bil, technically correct, but in this case I mean set the timing with the points 180˚ from 5 o'clock (@ ~ 11 o'clock surprise, surprise !!) / slip-ring brass contact on bottom side, so you'll be timing the LEFT side- same procedure.
  This will then necessitate switching leads, either at the plugs or pickups.
Doesn't matter TDC left or right, they're the same ('cos they go up 'n down together)

I have the notion that the plugs are @ 45˚...?

...and yes, I use the " top gear, plugs out ' method too, with a thin metal rule and a zippy tie on the oil feed pipe,(or a short length of stainless or brass filler rod) and use my foot to do the wheel so I have two hands for the Alfoil which is about 1 thou (don't do fags)
  cheers
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #31 on: 19.12. 2013 19:28 »
Great to hear you've found the root of your frustrations, Norm. *yeah*

Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 19.12. 2013 22:12 »
Alfoil which is about 1 thou (don't do fags)

I don't do fags either Dutch
I managed to track down strips of 1 thou feeler gauge steel (comes in around foot lengths ), handy as you can cut an inch or so off and if (as inevitable) it gets bent or twisted discard and cut a new bit.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #33 on: 20.12. 2013 10:25 »
Great News, Great NEWS !!!  *yeah*   No, not the Second Coming, but nearly as good.
Regards
Norman  

Congrats, & always nice to read good news, thanks for posting.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline xib34

• Moving Up
« Reply #34 on: 27.01. 2014 19:25 »
Glad you found the problem. Just a note on mag rebuilds, it is required sometimes. I had A10 that would not start when hot. Rebuilt mag, including condenser, fixed it.

Offline Gasket4450

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #35 on: 07.03. 2014 17:27 »
 *yeah* So, perhaps it is finally time to draw a line under this one. Put the accursed beast on the drive yesterday, kicked it over twice, now fitted with manual advance/retard, and away she went....!!! Kept up a fast tickover for 5 minutes or so, so I am really pleased. Doesn't pull away under load properly yet, but not worried about that, as I can tinker with air lever/A/R lever, pilot screw, throttles stop screw, jet sizes, etc, etc, to my hearts content.
Sounds really good, with a sharp crackle to the exhaust.
My heartfelt thanks to all involved in this saga of doom !!!!!!  Drinks are on me.  *beer*

Norman
1960 A10, alive and thriving. 1959 A7 living on borrowed time !

Offline Gasket4450

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #36 on: 11.03. 2014 20:15 »
    Ah, the pleasure was so short-lived !!!  With just 11 miles on the clock, I became aware of that horrible " spitting " noise coming from somewhere near the left hand exhaust port - yup, you guessed it, a blown head gasket  *sad2*.  Oh, well, back to the workshop. My fault for using a composite gasket I suppose, having tried everywhere for a solid copper job specifically for the A7. Tried all the usual outlets in UK:- Draganfly, SRM, C&D, Burton, Hawkshaw, Supreme, BriTi et al, but to no avail.  " No, mate, I don't think they ever made one. " was the usual response. I suspect they did once make them, but there are none left any more.

Never mind, I have a job lot of A10 solid gaskets from a local autojumble, so one of those will be pressed into service. Ho, hum.......  all the joys of head removal and replacement, along with my favourite job, the pushrods..... *problem*.
Thank Goodness for the famous pushrod comb.
Good job I've still got another running bike. Off out tomorrow with some mates for a day at the seaside in Sussex and a pub lunch.  Roll on summer, eh ?

Stay Lucky, one and all
Norman

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #37 on: 11.03. 2014 22:06 »
CoppergasketsRus is the answer .
Lanni has them instock usually and if not cuts them in whatever standard thicknesss you want.
Postage on them is now a killer as they are too big for a US standard small package so buy the max weight ( 4, I think ) then flogg off the other 2 on evilbay or even the buy, swap, sell section of this site.
Every one always needs a head gasket or two.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline The Artful Bodger

• Moving Up
« Reply #38 on: 11.03. 2014 22:51 »
I'll just add my two pence worth on this subject, I've had problems with composite head gaskets although the present one is holding up fine. The method I used this time was to torque the head down and leave it overnight. I then torqued it down again and was surprised how much more it needed, shows they compress quite a bit.
  I then had the engine running in the driveway while fiddling, tuning etc. and got it up to running temp. then took it for a short run of a few miles. After it cooled down I pulled the R/C off and re-torqued the head down, yes it went a bit more, not a lot but............. Fortunately as mine's an Ariel the R/C is easier to get on and off.
  I do feel (a personal feeling not based on any fact) that if there's a bit of distortion anywhere a composite gasket might??? give a bit more leeway than a copper one. I did skim the head before fitting it but not the barrel so felt I might be giving myself the best chance.
  I've only done around 1200 miles since it was fitted and only the last 300 giving it some real stick, but so far so good.
 Colin

Offline wardleybob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #39 on: 12.03. 2014 19:33 »
Hi just a thought I had a new Amal (wassel ) carb and the needle kept dropping out giving the same
Symptoms as you .

Offline Gasket4450

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #40 on: 13.03. 2014 10:15 »
Trevor/Colin,
                        Thanks for your views on this one. I know the " Solid vs. Composite " discussion has run and run on this site, and I think I have read most of it. Yes, I did the gradual torqueing down, but the gasket was from an old set, and was obviously past its best. I should have bought new, but got caught in the adrenalin rush of : " Summer's coming, must get it finished.......".  I don't normally skimp on parts, so don't know why I did this time. Another lesson learnt, then.
                         Incidentally, when I finished the A10, I had the same problem, but sorted with a solid gasket. 1200 miles like yourself now with no problems.
                         Thanks Wardleybob for your advice. I did have a problem with the Amal at first, where the new Viton tipped float needle was sticking up in the seat, rather than falling out, but another needle seemed to work, after I did the old
' clingfilm over the float chamber ' trick, as suggested by somebody on this Forum, so that I could see what was going wrong. A good wheeze, that.......I would probably never have discovered why I was suffering from fuel starvation otherwise !

Take care, and don't get carried away in the good weather UK riders.....  I had a narrow escape yesterday going into a country lane right-hander about 10 mph too fast.
Norman

Offline Gasket4450

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #41 on: 17.02. 2015 16:26 »
Hi All.
                   Well, I know its been a while, but thought I ought to bring this sorry tale to a close once and for all. I've been out of action for quite a while with a broken wrist and thumb following a low-speed get-off on wet leaves on the A10 (....caught out again. My mates managed to avoid them, but at least they came back and picked me up, as good mates do.....). However, once I had two working hands again, I decided to replace the head gasket on the A7, finding it had blown clean through at front left, and I'm not surprised - the two front cylinder head bolts were not much more than finger tight! Something to be said for checking and re-torqueing head bolts, as various contributors have advised on this forum many times.
                   Anyway, while the head was off, I thought I would just check the timing, being at last able to measure exactly 5/16" from TDC, and guess what......?  My points gap, which, of course, I would have sworn was spot on ( ...ahem ! ...), showed .003 and .004, not the requisite .012 I was expecting !!!  This must have been the major contributing factor to all my troubles in the first place.
                    You were right, Musky, I should have used the degree disc from the start. We now have lift-off second or third kick every time, and it sounds wonderful. I'm very happy again, and very pleased I joined this community  *smile*.

All the Best to one and all,
Norman

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #42 on: 17.02. 2015 19:06 »
G'day Norman.
Great to hear the pair of you are on the road again.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7