Author Topic: P/Coating S/A with bushes fitted?  (Read 1214 times)

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: P/Coating S/A with bushes fitted?
« Reply #15 on: 14.02. 2015 03:27 »
Wilko and Brian have said it all.

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 14.02. 2015 09:18 »
Taking a closer look at the swingarm, I noticed something I haven't seen before. Maybe I wasn't paying attention then, either. If this is truly NOS, then it seems like BSA had sleeved-down the I.D. to take a solid spindle in hollow-spindle bushes. Maybe this is how they made RGSs once the rest of the line was using right-side-pull full-width rear hubs and hollow swingarm spindles.

Richard L.

The GS/RGS swinging arm was originally used on the B31/33's so I assume they had a similar arrangement some years before?

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 14.02. 2015 09:20 »
Don't want to remove the bushes and as I now know that 2/2K Pack is air curing that is the way to go.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 14.02. 2015 12:38 »
I am sure that in the day BSA and/or the various workshops must have had a tool/equipment to simply press the old bushes out, as I can't believe that they would have to go through the hassle of burning the old ones out, removing the sleeves and then repair the paint just to change them?

BSA wouldn't have cared how difficult it was to change the metalastics. It would never have been required under guarantee and hardly ever during service life.  Neither powder coating, nor restoration of 60-year old B31s had been invented.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 14.02. 2015 13:00 »
BSA wouldn't have cared how difficult it was to change the metalastics It would never have been required...

I'll go along with that TT, also there seems to be variations of the S/A cross tube, mine have a step in the middle making it impossible to press the bushes out, helps renewing them though as it provides a positive stop when pushing them in.
Would think cost wise BSA would just replace the whole S/A if it was ever need to replace bushes - if
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 14.02. 2015 16:24 »
I could envision a couple of ways to get them out using big machinery, but I agree with TT that BSA would not have bothered. Maybe it went something like this: " 'Hey, Giles, here's another one for the smelter, Boyo.' "

Richard L.

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #21 on: 14.02. 2015 19:05 »
I saw earlier in the thread you were asking about alternatives to Hammerite.....Rustoleum do gloss black aerosols called 'Hard Hat'....its a nice finish and extremely tough. I know this because I took no notice of the instructions the first time I used it and it wrinkled....it took a very long time to remove it!!!

Online scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #22 on: 14.02. 2015 19:24 »
I used POR 15 paint on my swing arm, frame and forks .....it's bullet proof and easy to use

S

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 15.02. 2015 21:58 »
Por15  and a lot of these chassis paints are single or two pack epoxy paints. They are very tough, but are not usually resistant to sunlight. They go chalky due to the uv rays in sunlight. Just something to be aware of.