Author Topic: Britool imperial socket set info  (Read 834 times)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Britool imperial socket set info
« on: 26.02. 2015 17:01 »
Read this while looking for new spanners and sockets thought it might be worth sharing plus
I always had Britool spanners when I first started and 40 odd years on still have some servicable spanners in my box but the name had gone from my addled mind  *conf*
Bob
The History 3/16in Hex Drive Imperial Sockets

Britool 3/16th Hex drive is between 3/8 and 1/2in square drive and was common in the 1940- 50s. I have another sets that I use and there actually a convenient single size set negating the use of both 3/8 and 1/2 drive  .
From a engineering view point the hex shaped drive is better because it has more surface area to transfer torque ! Unfortuately as can be seen to this day Snap On, who used only square drive, aggressive marketing strategy and the huge internal US motor market forced  hex drive into obsolescences and Britool discontinued their hex drive in the 1960's.
Snap On offered a new for old, life time guarantee long before other manufacturers and with franchised  delivery dealers convinced the apprentice mechanic of the 1960/70/80s they were the ones to have albeit in different drives and standards which meant greater sales !!
This was not the case with aerospace and Fomula one whose prefered choice is German manufacturer Stahlwille who have always produced tools to the best DIN standard !
Britool until their take over in the 1990s were the premium quality British manufacturer and were the WD/MOD and British industry's first and usually only choice until the late 1970s.

It is a common view that the odd Whitworth/BS spanner sizes are 'illogical' and that the newer metric system is much more 'logical', but consider this: To cover 1/4" to 3/4" in both fine (BSF) and coarse (BSW) threads, the British system defines 9 diameters and requires 9 spanners (or 10 if you also include the original large head Whitworth sizes as well). The UNF/UNC system defines 8 diameters for the same range but requires 11 spanners. For the broadly equivalent range in metric of M6 to M18 using all the common metric standards in use, there are 8 diameters defined but a total of 15 spanners are required! (i.e. 69% more spanners per diameters than the British system). Is this progress?
For infomation on BS,BSW, AF UNC,SAE and compatibility charts look at the following links.

http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/~psc/spanner_jaw.html
http://www.baconsdozen.co.uk/tools/conversion%20charts.htm

" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Britool imperial socket set info
« Reply #1 on: 26.02. 2015 20:12 »
G'day Bob.
That's a good read and useful links that I've bookmarked.
I agree with the theory of hex V's square drives but the hex will round off and loose drive long before the square.
Our (Aust) premium brand tools used to be Sidchrome. I'm not up on their tail of woes but like most things here taken over by foreign Co's, quality has been replaced by price.
If I was going to rob a bank, I'd steal a Snapon truck. *whistle*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 26.02. 2015 21:06 »
If I was going to rob a bank, I'd steal a Snapon truck.

Steal the truck, if it's just stocked up you wont need to rob a bank *smile*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
« Reply #3 on: 27.02. 2015 01:54 »
Yep, that's what I meant. There'd have to be a hundred grands worth in there.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 27.02. 2015 12:36 »
Interested by that last comment on spanners required.

Working my metric machines - Guzzi/Japanese/Nimbus; I always know exactly where I am. One set of metric spanners, sockets, hex keys, easy as that. The Harley is all imperial AF.
On my Brit bikes - BSA, Sunbeam (is that really it?); I'm always coming across hex heads that nothing seems to fit - BSW/BSF, imperial AF, metric et al. So what gives there, I don't think it's down to wear/rounding? Really winds me up.

Why oh why is this? What is the mystery set that would fit the inbetweeners? Does my head in (eek - pun) - give me metric any time. Sorry.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
« Reply #5 on: 27.02. 2015 19:21 »
G'day cyclobutch. Don't touch an A50/65 then mate. They have almost every thread ever used on them.
Many years ago I knew a fellow who had a metric set that went up in 1/2 mm sizes, it fit everything. I have looked for them to no avail.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #6 on: 27.02. 2015 21:37 »
Has anyone any experience with these?;
http://www.metrinch-tools.com/website/produkten.php
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 27.02. 2015 23:23 »
Cyclobutch,
                             Some of the B.A. hex heads have their size spanner.  It never ends!

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
« Reply #8 on: 28.02. 2015 08:21 »
G'day Morris.
I luv'em. Had'em for years. I've got 4mm - 13mm 1/4 drive and 13mm - 19mm 3/8 drive sockets and a 8mm - 19mm set of ring/open end spanners. Now I only need to carry 1 tool kit for all makes of bikes. There are cheap imitations out there.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 28.02. 2015 10:27 »
Right I have an odd socket or two like those, defo not the genuine thing but I did notice them and read somewhere about turning on the flats.
Interesting, if I didn't already have plenty of stuff I might be pushed that way
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
« Reply #10 on: 28.02. 2015 12:11 »
That's right Bill, they grip on the flats and are good for those rounded nuts/bolts.
The only quirk is if say tightening a 1/2"AF with the 13mm socket it tends to lock on to the nut, needing a little revers thrust to free.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7