Author Topic: UK multi bike insurance ??  (Read 742 times)

Online terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
UK multi bike insurance ??
« on: 04.03. 2015 17:14 »
Does any UK forum member have any experience of multi bike insurance applied solely to classics?

Alternatively any other recent good insurance offer news?

Just thought I'd ask before spending ages phoning around. I realise this has been covered before but the insurance market is subject to change.

Thanks for any information you'd care to share.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: UK multi bike insurance ??
« Reply #1 on: 04.03. 2015 18:22 »
I'm with Peter James, Two bikes both classic, price for two was much about the same as one, renewal is very easy too about £75 - £80 for 12 months
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • The A7
« Reply #2 on: 04.03. 2015 18:50 »
I was originally with Peter Best Insurance, they where great, easy to deal with and each additional bike cost a fraction of the first, to add the Matchless cost something like £15 for the year. They were way cheaper then the big two in the market.
Then I had trouble when I wanted to add Luke (21 year old). Firstly they could not do multi bike, secondly even with separate policies they could not insure him. So changed to a separate policy for the A7 and A10 (the Matchless is in bits and slowly slowly going back together) Luke is now insured on both and they are with Lexham and Lynbrook (brokers) cost a lot more then a multi bike and although both are with the same underling insurer they could not match each other quotes.
I hope you don’t mind Terry if I add to your question, but I would really like a single multi bike, multi person policy for all three biked for both Luke (now 23) and myself. Anybody know if anyone does this.
1961 A7 since 1976
1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project
1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger (becoming a project)

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 04.03. 2015 19:11 »
hi try saga i have had 2bikes car and home with them for 11yrs

Online terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #4 on: 04.03. 2015 19:14 »
Hello Angus - my situation is similar to yours in that I have 3 bikes and would like both my sons (aged 28 and 30, each with their own modern bikes) to be able to ride any of them. Perhaps there are others in this situation, doing something to pass on these old machines.

Thanks Angus  and Bill for your replies, hopefully others will chime in too. Apologies to non-UK members but this is UK specific.

Hi nimrod - Saga are forever sending me junk mail, perhaps now is the time...
Terry

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 04.03. 2015 19:30 »
I have 11 classic bikes which are all covered by a single Fully Comprehensive policy.  I started off with Carole Nash many years ago then changed to Footman James.  I'm now with Peter James who I find gives me the best deal that meets my needs.

It includes for use on the Continent, full breakdown cover at home and abroad, unlimited mileage and I'm covered for third party only to ride other bikes.  I can also add one modern bike to the policy if ever I need to.

Most of these insurance companies will give you a special deal if you are a member of a certain club that they recognise.   I'm a member of the BSA Owners' Club so I know that they accept that one.

Shop around and get quotes from several companies then decide which suits your requirements.

Good luck,

Beezageezauk.

Online terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #6 on: 04.03. 2015 19:59 »
Hello Beezageeza - many thanks for that useful information. Your experience is a lot more positive than my initial enquiries led me to expect.
Terry

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #7 on: 04.03. 2015 21:28 »
Thanks Angus  and Bill for your replies, hopefully others will chime in too. Apologies to non-UK members but this is UK specific.

Consider yourselves lucky guys. I pay over €200/bike/year. No chance of a multi bike reduction over here... *bash*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online bikerjohndavies

• John Davies, Bath, UK
  • A's Best Friend
  • 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash Project
« Reply #8 on: 05.03. 2015 08:40 »
I also found Peter Best Insurance Services very easy to deal with and gave me a great price after a number of years with Carole Nash. I am just about to renew the policy next week of my 6 bikes with agreed values of over £32,000 for under £200, brilliant. I do know how lucky we are here in the UK as my brother lives in British Columbia, Canada and he tells me the hassle and cost of insuring his bikes there.
1937 Panther M100 Rigid, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10SF (WIP), 1958 BSA C15, 1961 Triumph T120R

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 05.03. 2015 13:45 »
I’ve been with Carole Nash for some years now though I’m not entirely convinced. I have 10 bikes on this policy – though a couple aren’t of classic status. I like it because it includes European breakdown cover and I ride abroad a lot. When I wanted to include my wife on the insurance for a Bantam on that I had to have a whole new policy on that bike for the pair of us which was not really surprising – I think you will struggle to find a single policy for multi bike and rider.

I don’t like the admin charge they levy if I add another bike mid-term. I have never claimed against them for damage or breakdown so can’t comment on the quality of service for that either.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #10 on: 09.03. 2015 10:30 »
Big thank you to those who suggested Peter James. Just been quoted £170 for 3 bikes and 3 riders (me plus 28 and 30 year old, all full licence longer than 1 year), UK and Europe (35 days pa), unlimited mileage.  Happy days!
Terry

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • The A7
« Reply #11 on: 09.03. 2015 10:37 »
That sounds great and just what I want so will try them when renewal time comes around
1961 A7 since 1976

Offline The Artful Bodger

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 09.03. 2015 17:53 »
One thing which bothered me when I went for my multi bike policy, I was getting some great quotes but it turned out the bikes were not insured in my driveway, or within something like a mile or so from home for theft. Because I have them down as "kept in a garage" they had to be in a locked garage anytime they're at home.
  I called saying if I was out for a ride, came home for a pee and a cuppa before setting off again and left the bike in the drive. If it got nicked I wasn't insured? That's right I was told! The two best quotes I had both had the same policy, so a call to Carol Nash. With them the bikes are covered outside up to 10 pm, after that they're not covered until the next morning (can't remember the exact times). So despite not being the cheapest quote Carol Nash has my business!
Colin

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • The A7
« Reply #13 on: 09.03. 2015 19:02 »
Hi Colin

Yes I railed against that on my last two renewals. Seams to be becoming commonplace. The big two (CN & FJ) where 3 times the price of the other quotes I was getting so I just open the garage and put the bikes in as soon as I get home and now all polishing etc is done in the back garden.
1961 A7 since 1976

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 09.03. 2015 19:32 »
One thing which bothered me when I went for my multi bike policy, I was getting some great quotes but it turned out the bikes were not insured in my driveway, or within something like a mile or so from home for theft. Because I have them down as "kept in a garage" they had to be in a locked garage anytime they're at home.
Colin

I know where you're coming from Colin.  My policy states that my bikes have to be in a locked garage  between the hours of 10pm and 7am when at home.  I also keep some in my mother's garage and the insurance company also have a note of her address.  However, the bikes are covered whilst on the driveways outside of these hours.  Maybe I have this bonus because I've been with my insurance company for so long and the agreement is long standing.  New policies may be different.

Beezageezauk.