Author Topic: Rear brake cable recommendations please  (Read 1449 times)

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Rear brake cable recommendations please
« Reply #15 on: 04.03. 2015 22:20 »
Hi Bob
So you guys in far flung places must have mastered this job as a matter of course. .

Cork people regard here as the centre of the Universe and everywhere else revolves around this great place
 *ex* *ex* *ex* *ex* *ex* *ex* *ex* *ex* *ex* *ex* *ex* *ex* *ex* *ex* *ex* *ex* *ex* *ex* *ex* *ex*

"Nipples" is the term used for the "brassy bits"   *smile* *smile*
http://www.venhill.co.uk/Cables_-_Components_Kits/Cable_Components

I was taught to solder tinplate projects at school and how to fix cables by an old timer who used to roadrace on an x works Rudge and was also a sucessful grasstracker.
I was about 13/14 years old at the time and have great memories of visiting his workshops

I am still working from the "stock" of "Frys"solder I got some years ago when it was still available so have not sourced any recently

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #16 on: 05.03. 2015 07:40 »
"taught to solder tinplate projects at school"

John - was that with a gas flame heated iron like the ones we had to use?  A tin plate 'pin tray' was our first task (mark out, cut, peen beaded edges, bend, solder) in metalwork classes aged 11 years.  Making it was fun but queing up to have our efforts ridiculed by the master in charge was not so good.  I remember it well although almost 50 years ago.

Sorry - a bit 'off topic' but the nostalgia bug seems to be biting at the moment.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #17 on: 05.03. 2015 10:41 »
Thanks John for the info and good humour ,I'd never dream of suggesting cork "was a far flung place " more an enlightned place that sells excellent black stuff !! so my son tells me . No I was meaning our friends in oz and NZ . Cheers Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 05.03. 2015 21:39 »
Hi Terry
Yes, heated on a gas flame, I seem to remember making a box and lid???
At home I had to get the parrafin blowlamp going to heat the iron  *eek* *eek*

Hi Bob,
an enlightned place that sells excellent black stuff
   *smile* *smile*LOL

Yes we have two famous brands of Stout brewed in Cork, the brewries "Murphys" and "Beamish" were always great rivals,
both stouts are now brewed in the same brewrey owned by Hieneken  *sad2*
Recently a couple of more small brewreys have opened and are offering excellent products

I had a look on fleabay and "Frys" tinmans solder is available ????

Cheers
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 05.03. 2015 22:02 »
O/T as far as cables are concerned but I just purchased this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171435873172

bought to replace my dads transformer solder gun that went "Poof" in a quiet but smelly way.
Seemed like a gamble worth a try at the price, but it arrived and I changed the plug (comes with 2 pin ) and tried it, it does get hot quite quickly and at 130 should hopefully get my RGF rewired, how long will it last ?? - we'll see but if it does the bike anything else will be a plus.
one thing the 23/130 switch able, what that means is it idle's at 25 w so to speak and go's to 130 when you pull the trigger
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 06.03. 2015 10:52 »
Been looking for another soldering iron. Looks worth a go at that price point. Thanks.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Dean

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #21 on: 11.03. 2015 16:39 »
Hi Dean,
Johnson cables provided the cables for the Vincent
Heres a link to a cheap solder pot,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220V-150W-Solder-Pot-Soldering-Desoldering-Bath-50mm-ST-21C-450-Degree-Max-dtj-/191031057524?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c7a569c74

Using the pot you can repeatedly dip into solder and then into separate flux container ensuring proper tinning
It is also vital to swage the cable end

Lead free solder is shite!!!!  *eek* get the proper stuff

Electrical cored solder is not suitable for  making cables

Remember your life will depend on proper soldering

John

Thanks for solving the solder pot puzzle for me John. I am still debating whether to get one as I am running out of space o the garage shelves, I've already had one avalanche that cast me a new Bosch router (but fortunately my head remained undamaged)  *eek*

I second your warning about not using electrian's multicore solder for cables.

Another aspect of cable making I used to hate was cutting the inner multistrand cable. Now made as easy as anything with a Dremel with a cut off disc (other brands are available ;).

Thanks also to others who have responded.
Never tell people your troubles. Half of them are not interested and the other half are glad you're getting what's coming to you.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 11.03. 2015 20:21 »
Hi Dean,

Another aspect of cable making I used to hate was cutting the inner multistrand cable. Now made as easy as anything with a Dremel with a cut off disc (other brands are available ;).

I have always used a a good quality electricians side cutters ?? because it was/is what I have to hand
I have seen others using a wire cutting pincers (as used on wire fencing or steel fixing)

Cheers
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 11.03. 2015 22:30 »
Venhills sell  a superb cable cutter; cuts like a knife through butter. No more dremels, chisels, soldering etc required.
Reasonably priced as well. less than the wife spends on one visit to the hairdressers.

Their cable end mushrooming tool is worth every penny. Perfect flaring of the cable in one blow. Die & punches are hardened steel; quality.