Author Topic: Placing Brake peddle spring on a 58 Super Rocket  (Read 597 times)

Offline AZScott

• Active
For all you experts out there...
What is the secret to getting the brake peddle spring correctly attached, without fudging the paint.
I am referencing the spring on the left side that keeps the brake peddle up.
There must be a magical sequence, or tool to get this to slide on properly.
Thanks,.. 
BSA 1957 Super Rocket
Triumph 67 Trophy C
Triumph 67 Bonneville
Triumph 65 Bonneville
HD 1942 WLA Liberator
 https://www.a7a10.net/forum/flags/us.png[/img]

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Placing Brake peddle spring on a 58 Super Rocket
« Reply #1 on: 14.03. 2015 21:23 »
Not too sure as it's a while since I put mine on ( a while being a relative term with my memory) but have a suspicion I removed the cable or maybe even the arm on the otherside so that the foot lever can swing free
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #2 on: 14.03. 2015 21:30 »
I remove the left side footrest, remove the arm on the right side, slide the pedal on in the upright position, clip the spring on, then push the pedal down and put footrest and right side arm back in place.
In this case you won't need it, but a helpful tool for pulling springs on is this;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raceline-Motorcycle-Motocross-MX-Enduro-Exhaust-Spring-Puller-Tool-NEW-/251707485449?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item3a9aef6d09
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline AZScott

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 15.03. 2015 04:51 »
Thanks for the reply, sounds like I need more patience and perseverance.
BSA 1957 Super Rocket
Triumph 67 Trophy C
Triumph 67 Bonneville
Triumph 65 Bonneville
HD 1942 WLA Liberator
 https://www.a7a10.net/forum/flags/us.png[/img]

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 15.03. 2015 09:53 »

I had the same issue with my Plunger one, gave up on it for now- the shoe return springs seem to do the job ok..

I reckon either the spring is the wrong diameter, wrong amount of wind, or the peddle tang is bent wrong, or a combo of all or some..??

either way, *beer* fixes it 
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 15.03. 2015 10:17 »
Having had a little time for the grey cells to talk to each other, I was going to add a little bit however Morris has replied with what I was going to add, yep it's the primary side footrest that also needs to move, you might get away with just slacken enough to allow the locating pin in the extension piece to come out of it's hole.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 15.03. 2015 19:11 »
hi  i slip a piece of thin black rubber sleeve over spring to avoid paint damage on pedal

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #7 on: 15.03. 2015 20:47 »
I had the same issue with my Plunger one, gave up on it for now- the shoe return springs seem to do the job ok..

I reckon either the spring is the wrong diameter, wrong amount of wind, or the peddle tang is bent wrong, or a combo of all or some..??

Be careful duTch, swingarm and plunger springs are different
For the plunger you definitely need a spring puller, though a length of strong thin rope will also do the trick. Hook the spring to the pedal, slide the pedal on about halfway, and use the rope or puller to pull the spring over the chassis tube. You can then gently tap the pedal further up the shaft.

After that, step back, admire your work and enjoy your *beer*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
Belgium

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 15.03. 2015 23:38 »

Thanks Morris,...have been putting spring on frame first, next time I have the chaincase open I'll have another crack at it your way. Had the spring handy so took a couple of pics, I.D. measures ~1.115ish". Saved an Image of that tool- maybe will fab one from an old screwdriver from that.

I keep meaning to chase up that Rory Gallagher song- I saw him at the City Hall here in about '74, maybe his only visit here. I'd found a album in the square where some people had been sitting and left it, and waited a fair while to guard it until they came back but they didn't.....so I went along to the show when he came (it was weeks or months later)- thought they may have been there to give to, didn't see them so I scored a record, still have it tucked away *smile*, but need to fix the turntable  *work*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #9 on: 16.03. 2015 21:54 »
That spring looks right for a plunger.
I remember it being a hefty pull though. I had the bike on a ramp, myself lying on the ground pulling the spring and for security a mate to keep it steady so it wouldn't fall on me.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
Belgium