Author Topic: BSA If only  (Read 1360 times)

Offline townsends20

• Moving Up
BSA If only
« on: 17.03. 2015 18:21 »
Just look what bsa could have done with a bit more development.       eBay item number:131345603257
1962 rgs

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: BSA If only (Kawasaki W1)
« Reply #1 on: 17.03. 2015 18:56 »
Great looking machinery indeed!

This one looks good as well, Kawa W650, and the Triumph's has been quite successful too.

('Borrowed' pictures for future reference to the Kawa 650 as the listing will someday disappear, if any copyright objections, will be removed asap)

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: BSA If only
« Reply #2 on: 17.03. 2015 19:21 »
If I had the $$$ this would be in my shed. 
http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/bikes/commando-961-cafe-racer.html
I think the real problem with the British industry was that so much money got poured into Germany and Japan to rebuild with nice new machinery. And hence better product. Poor old England had to patch up all that got bombed and keep going.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 17.03. 2015 19:45 »
If I had the $$$ this would be in my shed. 
http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/bikes/commando-961-cafe-racer.html
I think the real problem with the British industry was that so much money got poured into Germany and Japan to rebuild with nice new machinery. And hence better product. Poor old England had to patch up all that got bombed and keep going.
Cheers

Or the opposite, sort of.

After WW2, British factories could find a market for anything they made. Did they use money from 1950s good times to develop better, modern products? No- they tried to live on reputation and fobbed buyers off with deteriorating build quality, while Japanese bikes improved.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 17.03. 2015 20:00 »
£18k???????  *ex*

Online nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 17.03. 2015 20:17 »
nice looking bike just missed out on a cheap mint w650 2000reg in scarborough n yorks 6 weeks ago with 11 mls on the clock the owner  road it to work  on the first  day it poured with rain both ways he stood it in his garage and never rode it again

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 17.03. 2015 21:47 »
I think the real problem with the British industry was that so much money got poured into Germany and Japan to rebuild with nice new machinery

Agreed, and we were left with a huge deficit due to war loans to repay, I believe it was into the nineties before we got on top of it, can't quite see the logic of paying off our new deficit (thank you banks) in break neck speed.
But I've had a ride on a W650, smoother than our A's but a fair bit younger, BSA went down the unit construction route though and I've not been on a A50/65 so can't comment really.
And agree also that Triumph are taking little hurt it seems
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 17.03. 2015 21:52 »

Quite possibly the only Jappo made with a right side gear shift...??
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 18.03. 2015 09:56 »
I grew up on Yamahas and Hondas. Wasn't till I started work I got my 1st BSA. A '72 A65L basket, sold before I rode it. Got the 51 A7 in 81 and been hooked ever since. I just love the simplicity (what simplicity).
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #9 on: 18.03. 2015 11:58 »
Hey this laptops still working ?? Bill it was around 2002 we finally paid our American cousins the money from ww2 and as Musky said the money was poured into mainland europe to try to make sure it didn't go communist . As a result food rationing was still going on here til 1953! re the lack of forsight by the industry I couldn't agree more . My old boss Alan in Horsmans used to tell  this story about  Norton , when AMC closed the old bracewell st factory and moved the norton outfit to ,I think, Woolwich, they discovered a problem with the crankcases ,the driveside was out off line and the amount varied .In desperation they tracked down the old guy who had done the job for years in the old factory who told 'em that when they took the old machine they didn't take "his plank" apparently the machine was so worn he'd had to compensate by using this plank to keep the head inline and had for years. I also remember him saying that the old factory still had some gas lighting which incidently I heard was the case in parts of the Velocette factory, while the management (was it the Dockers in BSA ) spent the money that should have kept them in business for years to come. Finally my Dad was a sales rep in the 50's selling industrial diamond bits for machine shops etc, what a job he had on his hands the machinists could see the  benefits but they cost a bit more so most stuck with carburndum etc as per. He eventually gave up and sold "toblerone " sweets and chocs much better  *smile* ,remember I was only 6 then, regards bob.   
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online edboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 18.03. 2015 19:04 »
if everyone here has an opinion about the demis of the british bike industry you should read bob holiday s" the story of bsa" as the truth of bsa s demise shows up a few suprises and points the finger at top managment . for example wasting 3 million pounds tooling and developing the ariel 3! and at the same time destroying the tooling for the bantam which was still popular. the bike sales were very profitable until the umberside hall development ex aircraft designers blew bsa s future with mediocre design and then running out of money and time to meet the financially important american seasons.the japanese produced some real turkeys at the time too, e.g. the wankel and 3 cylinder 2 stroke death traps so i dont think you can blame the japan bike industry and their banks supported them long term.

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #11 on: 18.03. 2015 21:40 »
18K quid Hmmmmm...  *idea*  wonder how much I can get for the set of original air filters in my shed? *conf2*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline townsends20

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 20.03. 2015 16:11 »
try this.
   Steve.
1962 rgs

Online edboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 20.03. 2015 20:31 »
is that an ex-factory ohc triple trident engine townsend? reg allen had one on display years ago.

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 21.03. 2015 02:28 »
Much has been written about the decline of the British motorcycle industry, particularly Triumph. From my perspective, BSA screwed up with the unit construction models. The "power egg" was extremely boring to look at. The A7/A10 were beautiful, but when unit construction came about, the Triumphs, IMO, were much better looking. As a youngster longing for a bike, it was the Triumphs and Royal Enfields I lusted after. The BSAs weren't worth a look. Even now, I'm trying to put together 2 A10s, 2 unit construction Triumphs, and a Norton Commando, but a unit BSA? I'd take one at a giveaway price, I suppose. Had a '67 Lightning for several years. Okay to look at, a miserable vibrator to ride.