Author Topic: Taylor Dow Rocker Covers  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Yarp

• Moving Up
Taylor Dow Rocker Covers
« on: 29.03. 2015 15:18 »
Good afternoon,just purchased these finned rocker box covers on ebay. I haven't seen a set before only a webco version. Would they be a correct period fitment for my SR or will I have have to wait till I purchase an RGS? *smile*

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Re: Taylor Dow Rocker Covers
« Reply #1 on: 29.03. 2015 16:03 »
Absolutely!
I have a set myself. Go faster goodies that weigh more than the standard part.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 29.03. 2015 16:08 »
HI,
Worth at least 15MPH on top speed  ;) ;) LOL
Very suitable for the SR, all you need now is the matching rocker oil feed fitting

Regards
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Yarp

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 29.03. 2015 17:45 »
Thanks John,when I bought the SR it had a cheap made finned oil feed that cracked,so I chucked it and put in an original one. Will keep an eye out for the TD one. M

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 29.03. 2015 18:58 »
...all you need now is the matching rocker oil feed fitting

Since it was said by Chaterlea John, and without an emoji, I don't know if this would really get an oil feed or if the fitting is a breather, as I would have guessed. The fins would add a bit of cooling, maybe by both definitions of the word.

Richard L.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 29.03. 2015 21:07 »
two different things going on here Richard
your right the pipe sticking out of the Rocker cover is for a breather, the finned oil feed is a variation of the oil feed to the rockers ,
still made I believe

http://www.chris-knight-mcs.co.uk/acatalog/Finned-Rocker-Box-Oil-Feed---BSAS-A7-and-A10----Eddie-Dow-Replica---42-0048-1635.html
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 29.03. 2015 21:36 »
Bill,

It seems to me that they are referring to fins on the back side of this oil feed and not to the covers. What do you think?

Richard L.

Offline townsends20

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 30.03. 2015 11:22 »
Just for the record here is the real thing from my rgs 40 years old
1962 rgs

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 30.03. 2015 12:38 »
referring to fins on the back side of this oil feed

Yes seems there is more than one make of these, this is SRM's version. personally I prefer the original, mine has copper pipe and shines up nice if you have the time and I do have as this bike has been finished about six times already this year, keep finding little bits that have gone wrong, latest is the ski slope seems petrol proof lacquer has gone funny, keep getting a sort of crocodile skin effect, got new stuff ordered.
back to subject. wonder just how much you need to cool oil to the rockers, possible our racing guys would say it's a benefit ???

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 30.03. 2015 17:00 »
As an aside – when Roger at Cake Street put my motor back together after my little misfortune, he picked up on the breather in the rear rocker cover and told me I wouldn’t be needing it. He blanked that off, and some three thousand miles later he still seems to be right.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 30.03. 2015 17:15 »
I like both, the original RGS rocker covers, and the shiny tubing. Seriously doubt fins over that length add any real cooling while making the bike "cool". On the other hand, the solid oil feed probably adds weight and I understand racers are crazy for every gram.

Richard L.

Offline Yarp

• Moving Up
« Reply #11 on: 31.03. 2015 06:06 »
Good Morning,is it a case that Taylor Dow was a partnership that later became just Eddie Dow? Here is the back of these covers that has TD inscribed. I think I may have them Vapour blasted to bring the shine back up. M

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 31.03. 2015 10:56 »
Yes, I think Eddie Dow was an army officer and trials rider who started out with Taylor (can't remember his first name) in the 50's. I believe he already ran a motorcycle business in the Oxford area and then was bought out of the partnership by Eddie Dow sometime a few years later....
In the 80's I worked as a mechanic at a Renault garage and recall chatting to a friend of the boss about the A10 I used to ride to work....it was about 20 years later that I realised I had been talking to Eddie Dow....who had at that time sold up the TD business and taken on a Renault dealership!

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #13 on: 31.03. 2015 11:29 »
I bought a spring clip for the rear chain of my '53 plunger from them in Banbury and it was just Eddie Dow then in '66 . I made my own breather using the brass connector of a gas fire works well , whether really needed is debatable as my rockerbox still leaks ! but it was a rainy summer when I did it ! regards all, BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom