Author Topic: Starting aid!  (Read 451 times)

Offline unclerob

• A's Best Friend
Starting aid!
« on: 01.04. 2015 17:00 »
My knees not being what they once were I'd been toying with the idea of making an electric paddock type starter for quite a while but came across a chap in Suffolk making these. He supplies them without the motor which I picked up secondhand the other day, got it all connected and working today....it is wonderful!!!
I haven't tried it on the A10 yet since its still in hibernation but tried a couple of other bikes that are considerably harder to start and both were forced instantly into life with no effort at all....and no sore knees!

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Starting aid!
« Reply #1 on: 01.04. 2015 17:16 »
Gonna make a trailer so you can get the bike going again when you stall it at the traffic lights? ;)

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 01.04. 2015 17:35 »
interesting bit of kit.

Ha Ha Greybeard, usually quite an adrenalin rush in those occasions helps the old leg action
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 01.04. 2015 19:56 »
If the time came that I couldn't kickstart the A10 I think I would go for one of Steve McFarlane's electric starters.

Beezageezauk.

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 02.04. 2015 11:19 »
I have a ride on mechanic who covers these aspects for me - a smallish lad perched up on the flapper bracket.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online edboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 02.04. 2015 11:51 »
quite a common mod when old boys with sore knees used to ride their bikes daily was to lengthen the kickstart to the length of a bar. i remember an old boy with an ariel combination in the late 70s- 80,s who frequented knights and son and started his combo sitting down and pulling on the lever. unfortunately the mobile phone camera wasnt around then and i cant remember the final detail of how he made the lever but as a snotty teenager i was impressed.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 02.04. 2015 13:31 »
Gonna make a trailer so you can get the bike going again when you stall it at the traffic lights? ;)

Easy to argue that reducing the number of kickstarts saves the knee(s) to be used when there is no choice while out and about.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline renos-a10

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #7 on: 02.04. 2015 13:44 »
Very good job... *smiley4*
1954 BSA A10 Plunger
Cyprus

Offline unclerob

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #8 on: 02.04. 2015 18:06 »
Yes, that was my thinking too! Not so sure about the trailer, it would have to be quite hefty to get a generator in there as well....or a very long length of cable! But really I didn't buy it specifically for one bike so the electric start wasn't really an option, not to mention the whole thing came to less than £300 all in....
Realised it has another benefit today as well, I've just finished some engine work on another bike and tried it on the starter for 5 or 10 minutes without plugs in just to see oil was circulating etc....got up to over 30mph on the speedo!