Author Topic: Rapid Loss of Clutch Adjustment  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Liakos1982

• Moving Up
Rapid Loss of Clutch Adjustment
« on: 05.04. 2015 11:03 »
Hi All,

New to the forum and BSA's in general. I have a 58 super rocket which I have been slowly gaining comfort around.

I have gone on a few short rides this year so far, mostly in the countryside so very little city riding.

When returning home on both rides I experienced rapid degradation of the clutch adjustment. The bike started dragging with the clutch totally engaged. I took the slack in the handlebar adjustment.

Where should I focus my attention to solve this problem? I have read that it might be an issue with pushrod wear, but I was always cautious to have a fair amount of play 1/16-1/8 of free play on the clutch cable. Thanks for this insights!

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Rapid Loss of Clutch Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: 05.04. 2015 11:43 »
Before going any further have a look at the clutch actuating arm on the top of the gearbox, it should be very near to 90 degrees to the clutch cable when the clutch is disengaged (handlebar lever pulled back)
adjustment is in the gearbox under the oval cover.

If that's is fine and the cable run has no snag points then you maybe have to look in the clutch
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #2 on: 05.04. 2015 12:17 »
Remove the clutch operating pushrod, accessible through the plate on the gearbox outer cover, and check that the ends are hardened. If they are not then premature wear could be the cause of your problem. It's easy enough to harden the ends in a flame, provided the material is correct
Take care if the pushrod has been fitted in two parts with a ball bearing in between. In this case you might end up taking the primary cover off too.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 05.04. 2015 12:22 »
Welcomed aboard, an introduction post (& pictures) in Bikes, Pictures & Members always appreciated.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 05.04. 2015 12:43 »
The nut nut on the timing side end of the mainshaft, which holds the kickstart ratchet pinion on, may have come loose, allowing the shaft and clutch to move toward the drive side.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 05.04. 2015 15:06 »
 My handlebar adjuster vibrates loose(slack) if it's not locked in place...maybe keep an eye on that (has a similar symptom)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

beezermacc

« Reply #6 on: 05.04. 2015 20:09 »
The problem is most likely caused by uneven set up of the springs. If you sit in traffic with the clutch lever pulled in the clutch plates should separate fully so that there is little or no friction between the plates. If the clutch isn't pulling off evenly there is 'drag' on the plates which causes friction and heat and warps the plates which causes more drag etc. As the plates warp they drag even more until there is so much drag you can't hold the bike back and you have to stall her on the brake. Because the plates are warped the clutch is all out of shape (like a stack of buckled 45 r.p.m. records) and the pressure plate is forced further out so you will feel that the clutch lever at the handlebar goes slack. When the bike cools down and the plates flatten out again the clutch lever resumes its normal position. This can seem weird until you realise what has happened. What you need to do is remove the primary cover and check that, when the clutch lever is pulled in, the pressure plate is spinning flat when spun by the kickstart. You'll probably see the pressure plate 'kicking out' when you swing the kickstart - remember to do all this with the clutch lever pulled in; you can even tape or bungee it to the handlebar. To get the pressure plate to spin evenly you'll need to tighten the spring nearest to the point where the pressure plate is kicking out. Most of us, being aware of the inadequacies of the A10 clutch, tend to engage neutral as we come to rest so that we are not heating the clutch up.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 05.04. 2015 21:06 »
That's an excellent description of what happens beezermacc.
I use a cable tie to hold the lever in and turn it over with back wheel in 4th gear (plugs out) and a dial guage on the pressure plate. 5 thou or less runout is good.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline East_Coast_BSA

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 06.04. 2015 04:57 »
Kicking the bike into neutral when coming to a stop is almost a given.  The clutch is dry so it doesn't take long to get warm and drag.  If you sit long enough at a stop the bike will start to creep with the lever pulled in all the way.  Also when the basket gets worn, it gets "notches" in the perimeter slots from the fiber plates slapping back and forth.  These slots don't allow for the plates to fully separate and it makes matters worst.  If you do take the side cover off, take the clutch cover off and make sure that the clutch retaining nut is tight.  I know someone who didn't put the tab-lock back on and the nut slowly walked off.  Every time he pulled in the clutch, he was taking out the free-play from the loose basket before he actually start to push the plates themselves.

Offline Liakos1982

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 07.04. 2015 16:51 »
Should there be a ball bearing between the rod and the clutch lever? I took the rod out, it's in one piece, the primary side looked better, but the other was not horrible. The clutch adjuster screw looked pretty worn though, it didn't appear like those two should be touching directly...

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #10 on: 07.04. 2015 21:10 »
Hi Liakos, If the rod is in one piece it's ok. Some people cut it in half and put a small bearing ball between the two halves to adjust the total length. I personally prefer the one piece shaft.
There's no bearing on the lever or the clutch side
Big chance that the clutch is loose on the shaft as EastCoast suggested. Maybe a good idea to take off the primary cover anyway to have a look. If you have never opened it before, now is the time. You may find some surprises in there.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 07.04. 2015 22:23 »
There should be a ball in the adjuster screw. I have seen a few where the ball has dropped out and the end of the screw becomes pretty horrible.

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 08.04. 2015 03:18 »
Your cable is about to bust.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 08.04. 2015 09:16 »

Yeah Wilko- I always have that feelin' on the Guttzi, not so far on the Beeza...but knew something made me do that earlier comment..
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline madsens

• A's Good Friend
  • 1962 A10 GF - Fyn, Denmark
« Reply #14 on: 08.04. 2015 12:15 »
hi
I had a similar problem - due to missing slack the rod must have kept grinding away... and the ball on the adjustment screw was ground totally flat  *problem* - I bought a new rod and new adjustment screw with ball at De Groot (Draganfly can also deliver)
The rod in my box has been cut by p.o. and fitted with a ball in middle, and is working nicely again - this time with a bit of slack... *red*
rgds
Joergen
BSA A10GF 1962
Denmark