Author Topic: starting  (Read 1427 times)

Offline agonda1

• Moving Up
starting
« on: 06.04. 2015 22:59 »
!958 A10  - starts easily when cold,go back to it 10/20/30 mins later and it will NOT start.Plugs are always sooty irrespective of needle position.Everthing has been checked more than once ( magneto/points/plugs/timing/v/v timing /compression/tappet clearance/carburettor settings . Had bike for two years and have not been able to use it ( in case I can't get back )  -  any ideas

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: starting
« Reply #1 on: 06.04. 2015 23:08 »

Have you set the idle mixture with the engine hot, as you're supposed to?

When was the needle jet renewed?

Is the float level correct?

Who rewound the magneto and when?

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
« Reply #2 on: 06.04. 2015 23:43 »
   agonda1 >>  sounds like an open in the primary or secondary magneto circuit, the current will jump the gap when cold will not run when they get hot, or the condenser gets hot and fails to hold a charge, samo, >> you  still get to push your lovely bike home, unless you have a friend to call with a pick up truck.
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

beezermacc

« Reply #3 on: 06.04. 2015 23:48 »
A bit more detail would help. You start the bike then do you keep it running for a few minutes or do you stop it? When it doesn't start have you tried fitting some new plugs and then will it start? You say the magneto has been checked, does that mean it has been restored or has it just been given a coat of looking at?! Will the bike start easily without choke?

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 06.04. 2015 23:57 »
  Too tight of clearance on the exhaust valve guides will also nip up the valve until it cools down, and keep it from starting.
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 07.04. 2015 00:28 »
  Always black sooty plugs?  sounds like it also could be too rich, (and now that they have no porcelain on the lower plug Insulator) , if you over tickle it, and saturate the Insulator, it will not start either.  What heat range plugs are you using ?
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD

Offline East_Coast_BSA

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 07.04. 2015 05:21 »
My 59' did that periodically for the first 1000 miles or so.  The valve lash would get tight (or disappear).  Was never a problem when cold, but once it warmed up it was a real chore to start.  Once I learned this, I knew when to reset the lash again.  I also never use the tickler ever.  Full choke and one kick when it's cold.  No choke and crack the throttle if it's been started at all that day.  It's jetted fat although the carb is set to stock.  I found it's very easy to flood this engine.  Once I sorted out the procedure, it's been fine.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 07.04. 2015 08:21 »
G'day agonda1,  *welcome*
Sounds like your  *pull hair out*.
After you've tried all the above get over to Bikes, Pictures & Members and say G'day with a brief intro. We're a friendly inquisitive bunch.
I'm going with rich mix, float height.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 07.04. 2015 08:36 »
starts cold won't start hot - classic magneto fault, but plugs - yes these days a RGS-Bill suggests are suspect too and easiest to eliminate, change to a plug that runs hotter and will burn the deposits off as it runs
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 07.04. 2015 22:02 »

Monobloc float height http://www.whfolk.co.uk/REOCHUMBER/Articles/monobloc.htm

Not the needle: the wear-prone brass needle jet.  http://amalcarb.co.uk/monobloc-series/376-series/jets/needle-jet.html It only lasts a few thousand miles before it starts making your mixture richer.

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 08.04. 2015 03:29 »
  Also if it is only fouling, or sooting one plug really badly, Google and check for "INDUCTION PORT OBSTRUCTIONS", they really raise HE** with the mixtures and the running of the bikes.
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #11 on: 08.04. 2015 07:51 »
Easy to check monobloc float height.  A large washer can be used to make a clamping ring in place of the float chamber cover, just drill three holes.  Put a thick piece of clear celluloid (food packaging offers some good choices) between the gasket and the clamping ring and you have a 'porthole' ready made.  Amal conveniently put a dot marker on the float chamber cover to show the fuel level, the position of which is easy enough to transfer as a line (or even two) scribed across your clamping ring.  Carb mounting angle makes a bit of difference but I've not found it too confusing.
Surprised myself at how easy this was, when necessary.

Edit - other methods are available.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 08.04. 2015 17:57 »
Easy to check monobloc float height.  A large washer can be used to make a clamping ring in place of the float chamber cover, just drill three holes.  Put a thick piece of clear celluloid (food packaging offers some good choices) between the gasket and the clamping ring and you have a 'porthole' ready made.  Amal conveniently put a dot marker on the float chamber cover to show the fuel level, the position of which is easy enough to transfer as a line (or even two) scribed across your clamping ring.  Carb mounting angle makes a bit of difference but I've not found it too confusing.
Surprised myself at how easy this was, when necessary.

Putting a clear tube over the pilot jet is easier.

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #13 on: 09.04. 2015 07:44 »
Can only say that I had the washer but no clear tube!
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline mick43

• Moving Up
« Reply #14 on: 09.04. 2015 13:55 »
Let me add my 2p, and I'll own up to this as it may help out another owner !!  *eek*

Obviously bow to the knowledge the gents have posted here, but as a new owner to a Classic bike (given my first BSA wasn't a classic when I purchased many moons ago) I found I was using the choke in the WRONG direction. ie. when first starting (and applying choke) I was moving the lever from forward to back position.... but I then learnt that this was completely wrong, ie. the choke OFF is with the lever pulled all the way back (towards you sitting on bike), and to put choke on, you push forward.

I just mention this in case you are doing same, in that the bike is being started in fact with no choke, and then you are applying choke (thinking it's now in off position) when warm..... but then you aren't probably as dumb as me  *smiley4*
1958 Super Rocket
North East Essex - Uk